Bali: How safe is this place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey! I'll be there in 4 weeks - so please save some monkeys for me! Thats if they haven't already been traumatised by their interactions with Mike.... :D

We'll spend a week unwinding at Scuba Seraya - so PM me in a month or two for all the details.

MoonWrasse:
Monkeys are tastey, if prepared properly. BBQ is my favorite way :D

Their brains are a particular delicacy. I believe they are served chilled – in which case should I select a red or a white to complement my meal?

Tassie_Rohan:
Their brains are a particular delicacy. I believe they are served chilled – in which case should I select a red or a white to complement my meal?

I'm sure it's red--white's supposed to go with fish.:D

catherine96821:
What about Ubud, turbo?

Ubud is great. The monkey forest and several temples in the area are pretty spectacular. It's a nice area to spend some time exploring on foot.... just get used to locals asking if you need 'transport' while you're doing it :D If you are interested in buying any of the art/wood carvings/jewelry you see in the shops in Ubud, most of it is made in one of sevral vullages within about 10 miles from Ubud. By going straight to the artisans' workshops you can usually get the same items cheaper or made from higher quality materials. Plus, you might be able to get a demonstration or lesson while you are there. The Balinese are very proud of their culture and crafts, and it's rare to find someone who isn't ecstatic to share them with you.

Yes, Catherine, I agree with TurboRook -- we hired a driver one day and he took us out to all these little "craft villages" around Ubud. Different villages had different specialites (puppets, masks, woodcarving, silver, batik, etc), and the prices were cheaper than in Ubud. Plus in some places you got a bit of a "workshop tour". The scenery was beautiful and it was a very nice day out. :wink:

Also - this was our "super touristy guilty pleasure" - we loved the day trip of rafting on the Ayung River followed by an elephant ride. Both were so-oo beautifully scenic! It's the only time I've ever ridden an elephant, and we went all around a village and through the countryside - fun! The Monkey Forest in Ubud is also great - bring lots of bananas! (Can you tell that we love animals but don't see many of them here in Manhattan?!)

We spent our time in Ubud and Jimbaran Bay, and no big party crowds were in evidence. (This was in August 2003, so tourism was still down in general). We boarded our Komodo liveaboard in Tulamben, which was pretty far out and very quiet.

Bali itself is not a hostile island, but it has been a target of bombings twice now, so of course there are no guarantees. The area around Tulamben is probably particularly low risk because it's just not a well-known tourist area. Good news for divers!

I felt safe on Bali, had a wonderful experience, and would return in a heartbeat. But, then again, I live four blocks from Ground Zero. And I don't have children. I'm sure both these things shape my perspective. No place is completely safe, so - for Bali or anywhere - all you can do is consider the known risks and make a decision based on your personal comfort level.

Back
Top Bottom