How would you rate Komodo/Labuan Bajo for non-divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot for all the replies.
Dragon Dive seems to be fully booked for the dates we are interested.

We were looking at Sylvia Resort as I read online good reviews for on site snorkeling, but it is outside the town (~15 mins by taxi to the north).

As alternatives, Bali has crossed our minds, but we've been there few times already and given the LoB timing (and flight considerations after diving) I'll end up joining them for just 2 nights or so. Doesn't make much sense.

As a side note, please keep the discussion "civilized". I know everybody has his/her opinion in here and quite often these opinions differ (a lot), but let's build on each other's opinions instead of trying to demolish them.. Cheers

Don't worry... as you have probably figured out there are some people who always try to discredit other's advice or recommendations. Just ignore them and do your research.

Snorkeling in Komodo is amazing! Mantas Mantas Mantas, ... with warm water vs cold and surgey in Bali(Nusa Penida)! Day trip to see the dragons would be fun as well. A couple nice resorts and restaurants in LBJ. LBJ has improved a bunch over the years so it is way more than a dusty town. We did a liveaboard with a snorkeler last year and she had some of the most incredible encounters... way better than us divers! I was super jealous!! FYI I have been to Komodo and Bali more times than I can count on my fingers.

Some of the hikes and view points are very rewarding but need to go at sunrise or sunset!

As a side note, please keep the discussion "civilized". I know everybody has his/her opinion in here and quite often these opinions differ (a lot), but let's build on each other's opinions instead of trying to demolish them.. Cheers
@stepfen - looking a little farther afield, have you thought about Wakatobi? It's 1 flight from Bali (like LBJ), is great for snorkeling, and a great resort for kids and non-divers.

The Komodo region has some good snorkeling in places, but it also have fairly strong currents, etc. (and the town itself is basically a port - not really a vacation destination).

In my view, Labuan Bajo is not much on an attraction, but if they want to sit by a pool a bit and maybe do a couple of day trips for some snorkelling or visiting caves etc, I could see it working. I stayed at the Bintang Flores after my liveaboard trip. It is a bit out of town, but has a great pool, nice restaurant and friendly staff. There were kids enjoying the pool while I was there.

Another good option for your family would be the Komodo Resort. Its a boat trip Labuan Bajo and right on the edge of the national park. It has amazing everything: snorkeling, beach, trekking, etc... and I bet your liveaboard could drop you there at the end of your trip.

One note- It ain't cheap. But if you are able, do give it a look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom