Bali: How safe is this place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so i suppose in getting this back to the origianl thread... would it be correct to say that Bali can be reasonably safe as long as you avoid the Aussie yobbos and the Brit gits?

:D

almitywife:
so i suppose in getting this back to the origianl thread... would it be correct to say that Bali can be reasonably safe as long as you avoid the Aussie yobbos and the Brit gits?

:D
LOL. And stay away from the TV when the footie starts!

Actually I know many people who go every year. You can be unlucky, as you can anywhere, but the chances of something happening are actually tiny. Most places you travel the most dangerous element is road transport.

Bali became a "scary" place really after the bombing. So, with that in mind, would I be afraid to go to NYC because of 911? No.
As far as police corruption, it's no worse than Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Philippines....that's just part of life. And it can work in your favor sometimes. The two times I went there it was great. Kuta can be a bit of a hassle but I dont' like any crowded cities. As for the Aussies.....never met a more fun loving bunch of bas***ds.:D

After reading this thread I actually wonder how many of the people who commented here have actually been to the Tulamben area of Bali (where Scuba Seraya is located).
Tulamben is just over 100 kilometres from Denpasar and 130 kilometres from Kuta (where the terrorist bombings were). The villages surrounding Tulamben are occupied by peaceful Balinese Hindu's who fish the local waters or farm the local lands. It is located in one of the quietest parts of Bali (or the World) imaginable.
My wife & I are expat Aussies who have owned a property here for over two years and visited/dived the area regularly since 1980. We don't feel unsafe living here and have bought our kids here since they were 8 years old.
We don't have security screened windows and doors, we leave keys in our car ignition, we walk the streets at night and often a fisherman from the local village (whom we don't know) will drop-past with a fish to give us for dinner, just to promote friendship!! I don't know where you guys or girls live - but we certainly haven't lived with those kind of privilages in metropolitan/suburban Australia, and I'm darn sure its worse in the good old USA!
Interestingly we only see a small number of Aussies diving in Tulamben and thankfully the 'Yobbo element' stay in Kuta/Legian drinking beer, though many of them no longer come to Bali (Excellent).
I guess my basic statement here is - If your frightened to come to Bali to dive. Then stay at home wrapped in a bullet proof vest, hiding behind a solid steel door in a concrete bunker and order your food via the internet so you don't need to leave the bunker.
Enjoy your life in solitary confinement - The rest of us will enjoy exploring the World.

Reefwalker:
After reading this thread I actually wonder how many of the people who commented here have actually been to the Tulamben area of Bali (where Scuba Seraya is located).
Tulamben is just over 100 kilometres from Denpasar and 130 kilometres from Kuta (where the terrorist bombings were). The villages surrounding Tulamben are occupied by peaceful Balinese Hindu's who fish the local waters or farm the local lands. It is located in one of the quietest parts of Bali (or the World) imaginable.
My wife & I are expat Aussies who have owned a property here for over two years and visited/dived the area regularly since 1980. We don't feel unsafe living here and have bought our kids here since they were 8 years old.
We don't have security screened windows and doors, we leave keys in our car ignition, we walk the streets at night and often a fisherman from the local village (whom we don't know) will drop-past with a fish to give us for dinner, just to promote friendship!! I don't know where you guys or girls live - but we certainly haven't lived with those kind of privilages in metropolitan/suburban Australia, and I'm darn sure its worse in the good old USA!
Interestingly we only see a small number of Aussies diving in Tulamben and thankfully the 'Yobbo element' stay in Kuta/Legian drinking beer, though many of them no longer come to Bali (Excellent).
I guess my basic statement here is - If your frightened to come to Bali to dive. Then stay at home wrapped in a bullet proof vest, hiding behind a solid steel door in a concrete bunker and order your food via the internet so you don't need to leave the bunker.
Enjoy your life in solitary confinement - The rest of us will enjoy exploring the World.

Drunken yobs everywhere

thanks for your post Reffwalker -its good to hear once youre away from the tourist packed holes you can enjoy, relax and dive.

hmmm, so if the yobbo numbers (thankfully) are in decline i wonder where they are going to and torturing.... oh well, thats for a different thread

If I hadn't already planned two trips for this year, I would go there, too. I will say that I am placing it on my list for a future venture. Right now, it's looking like 2008.

That link is a load of rubbish.

I've been to Bali twice and have been working in asia for the last 12 years. I'm heading to Tulamben in a few weeks.

Could there be petty corruption in Indonesia? Sure - welcome to the real world. I haven't come across it often but I expect If I looked like a gullible tourist and flaunted my weath then people might try various means to get some cash off me. In such cases if you stand your ground they usually relent (if a police officer asks then ask to go back to the station to pay). Else cough up the 2-10$ they are asking and go back to enjoying your day. I've never come across corruption in Bali and find the Balinese to be some of the friendliest people on earth.

As for 'I do NOT want to let the bas**rds win': my attitude is that by going I'm not letting the bombers from the last few years win by destroying the tourist industry that a lot of great people rely on to survive.

Yes - there are yobos in Kuta Beach (I'm proud to say I use to be a Yobo myself ) but to make up for it there are an equal number of Scantily-clad Scandinavian and pommie female backpackers. Just stay out of any bar you can hear football songs being sung in... :D

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom