Bali; Day of Silence and the Gilis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philip2711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Am looking for a bit of guidance along the lines of "what would you do?"

I am travelling to Bali on Mar 12 and original plan was to go to Lembongen on Mar 13 for 5D/4N diving in and around the area including Nusa Penida. I now find that it is the religious festival of Nyepi on Mar 16 - basically a 6AM to 6AM period where nothing happens; everything closed; guests expected to stay in hotel grounds etc.
Bali Dive Academy suggested that I head to Gili Islands for this period as the 'shut down' doesn't take effect in Lombok area. This would involve quiet a bit of travelling to and fro so I thought perhaps it would be better to just spend all the time in the Gili Islands and forget about Lembongen for this trip. My potential buddies (a couple I met last year in Malapascua and would like to meet up with that week) have since suggested that the diving in the Gilis is overrated, loads of dead coral and not really worthwhile (although top side alot more 'action')

So the dilema; do I (we)
1) Stay all time on Lembongen with one full completely dead day in the middle?
2) suffer the transfer and travelling and do some of both places?
3) Drop Lembongen completely and head for Gilis and make do?

For the record, I am also planning to go to Tulamben and Pemuteran for additional
5d/4n stints in each before leaving Bali

So what would you do?

Thanks

Maybe do a night dive on march 15th, and a 5AM dive on the 16th!

I hope Scott is joking. Nyepi observance will start before sunset on March 15, and will last until sunrise on March 17. Stay put, enjoy the silence, watch the night sky and sweat your b****cks off when they turn off the electric!

Hi fellow wetties,

Well, not too many replies but everyone has told me to stay put; And contrary to my normal habit of doing what I'm told from time to time always, ongoing research leads me to totally ignore this once.
So on arrival to Bali I will transit across to Gili Trawangan for 5-6 days, get used to being in the water again and then back to Bali for the week split in all probability between Tulamben and Lembongen. Pemuteran is a destination too far under the circumstances..... Hope that I don't dive to regret it.

Thanks again for your thoughts and wishing you a safe and happy festive season,

Ciao

Hi fellow wetties,

Well, not too many replies but everyone has told me to stay put;

Ciao

Actually, I told you to stay put, but to squeeze a couple extra dives in :) Good luck with your plans, and I'm looking forward to the trip report.

Lembongan has some excellent drift dives, and close to Nusa Penida with some great sites as well. That's where the channels are - and you know what comes up in those channels sometimes.

Thanks Hoges - I just read your trip report and am comfortable with the decision I've made to spend 6 nights on GT and then transfer via Padang Bai to Tauch Terminal in Tulamben for a further and final 7 days.
Unlike you however I am going to be diving with Trawangan Dive who are based on the northern part of the island - apparently a little quieter - and under same ownership as Blue Marlin. I'd given Manta serious consideration and the clincher for me was, perversely, when TD had a chance to diss BM but didn't - in fact spoke of them as a good place. But something about the way that TD responded in general to all my inquiries made it seem like a safe choice.......
On a personal note; have a great 2010 and hope that things turn out well for the lady.

Philip

Hi Philip. Trawangan Dive is only a couple of hundred metres from Manta - Looks like a good operation but I did think they were the French one?? Not exactly sure. They are all close together and they tend to dive the same spots. You should be in for a treat. I hope Tulamben is good - I've dived the wreck many years ago on two trips but not the new dive area there - that should be good too. Best wishes to you, too for 2010 - looks to be an exciting year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom