Bali bombings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed_Dman:
By not going to Bali or anywhere, doesn't mean that the terrorists will stop, what they are doing. Just look at 9-11. By staying home (in your country), doesn't neccessary mean, you're safe. If the terrorists target a place, it doesn't matter where you are.

This is very true... If americans stopped traveling because of fear... we'd all be sitting at home, waiting for the big one to hit? That doesn't sound very fun. Have people stopped flying on airplanes since 9-11? Has Israel's tourism died because of terror attacks? London, Paris, NYC? So why Bali? Really... what are the odds of being caught in a terror attack... I think it's about the same odds as walking down the street in a city, and having a flower pot land on your head and kill you. Really?!?

To give in to terror is letting terrorists win... Living your life without fear, is letting you win. Don't let terrorists win... Don't cancel any travel plans because of a "heightened paranoia alert" code red, whatever... IT's all a bunch of horse crap.

We could all die on any given day, so why not make every day fun and fear free?

And yet consider how the legal system there treats these terrorists. In the last bombings the sentances were insanely short, something like 2 tears for killing a bunch of people. But the Australian woman who was accused of smuggling pot in her luggage, with a very real possibilty the stuf was planted & she was being used as a mule without knowing about it, faced the death penalty for it.

pilot fish:
Ignoring the inherent dangers, this is their second deadly bombing, is foolhardy. I look at it differently. If people stopped going there because of these extremists killing innocent people then business would suffer greatly, which would force the regular people to take some strong action against having these murderers in their community. If tourists/divers continue to go there and continue business as usual then there isn't much incentive for the nice people to drive these cowards out. I think it's only when Bali is empty of tourists, and tourist dollars and pounds, that the community will take decisvie action.

If the tourist stop going there so will the terrorists. They are not stupid THEY WILL take there war to wherever it will make the biggest impact, no where is safe (unless you stay in your bomb shelter in the middle of the desert) from them 911 should have proved this to you. So your chosen destanation may seem safe today...but it may not be when you get there.

Ed_Dman:
Pilot_Fish!

I disagreed with your thinking! The richest & most powerful country in the world with their inteligence and technologies, can't even hunt down those terrorists. How do you expect, a small island like Bali and it's residents, do that? A majority of the locals are living on a very low budget, kinda lives! They have to work really hard, in order to support their family and to put food on the table. How do you expect them to fight terrorism, when their main concern is to earn enough money to continue living! Look at attached pic:
img62523yw.jpg

By not going to Bali or anywhere, doesn't mean that the terrorists will stop, what they are doing. Just look at 9-11. By staying home (in your country), doesn't neccessary mean, you're safe. If the terrorists target a place, it doesn't matter where you are.

If I have to stay home, to be safe, then that defeats the meaning of living! One is living in fear and I'm sure that's what, the terrorists want! I'm unwilling to give in to those "cowards & their inhuman acts" :angry:! This will not stop me from going to the Beautiful Island Of Bali! I will continue to dive there & support the locals!

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ed.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion and I respect yours!

Ed, we are hunting them down, remember Afghanastan?, and having some success in Iraq. If what you say is true, they are too busy on Bali putting food on the table to hunt down bombers and end terrorism, then that makes my point of not wanting to go their. Sorry, but something needs to change and me and my fellow divers being fresh victims is not the answer.

HakoFugu:
Not much incentive? According to CNN, 12 of the dead and 68 of the injured are Indonesians. Locals. And these people call this place home..... They're not on vacation. They don't get to leave. They deal with the fear of such attacks every day. Indonesians have been battling terrorism and religious extremism/intolerance for years..... looooong before 9/11. They have had a terrible and bloody history. Incentive??? So I guess as long as our tourist dollars are coming in, they don't care if their family, friends, businesses, and selves are blown up? Is that what you're saying?

I'm saying that what is hapening now is not working, this is the second bombing, and we need to try something else. There have been no bombings in Cozumel or Dominica so maybe that's a safer destination? Why should I spend thousands of dollars to go to an unsafe place and maybe get killed in a restaurant? To prove a point? No thanks.

Wayward Son:
And yet consider how the legal system there treats these terrorists. In the last bombings the sentances were insanely short, something like 2 tears for killing a bunch of people. But the Australian woman who was accused of smuggling pot in her luggage, with a very real possibilty the stuf was planted & she was being used as a mule without knowing about it, faced the death penalty for it.

Yeah, they need to set new priorities. Until they do, I don't go there.

pilot fish:
I'm saying that what is hapening now is not working, this is the second bombing, and we need to try something else. There have been no bombings in Cozumel or Dominica so maybe that's a safer destination? Why should I spend thousands of dollars to go to an unsafe place and maybe get killed in a restaurant? To prove a point? No thanks.

Who is to say that you wouldn't be killed in Coz or Dominica?? Is anyplace really SAFE? How do you fight people who are commiting suicide bombings?

Paranoia and Fear are the weapons of the terrorists... That's why terror is in their name. "Don't give in" is the only way to fight back.

"get up stand up... stand up for your rights (don't let them push you down)"
-Bob Marley & Peter Tosh

howarde:
Who is to say that you wouldn't be killed in Coz or Dominica?? Is anyplace really SAFE? How do you fight people who are commiting suicide bombings?

Paranoia and Fear are the weapons of the terrorists... That's why terror is in their name. "Don't give in" is the only way to fight back.

"get up stand up... stand up for your rights (don't let them push you down)"
-Bob Marley & Peter Tosh

The chances of you getting killed by a Muslim extremist coward in Coz or Dominica is remote. Bali has had two bombings and might have a third. Don't go their until Bali gets its house in order and gets as tough with Muslim extremist as it does with pot smokers.

pilot fish:
The chances of you getting killed by a Muslim extremist coward in Coz or Dominica is remote. Bali has had two bombings and might have a third. Don't go their until Bali gets its house in order and gets as tough with Muslim extremist as it does with pot smokers.

Are all terrorists muslims? Maybe in Bali there are muslim terrorists. Apparently the predominantly muslim sentiment in Bali is the reason for their views on pot. Not that I have any problems with it... I just don't travel with it. but that's neither here nor there... the point is... really... increased threat for terror?

How do you fight a suicide bomber? Do you think that "inteligence agencies" really are that intelligent? Even our own intelligence couldn't stop 9-11, Oklahoma City, or even Pearl Harbor.

So... really, would you say that Bali is less safe than NYC, London, Paris, Tel-Aviv, or Negril? Who knows where the next terrorist COULD strike? We'd all better stock up on food and water, and just wait it out at home.

I will deffinitely continue going to Bali, Madrid, London, and maybe even New York. Of course, I intend to go out of this life enjoying myself and not hiding in a hole. The two things I enjoy are travelling and diving and doing both of those in SEAsia is the best place in the world to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom