Bali bombings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports say 2 terrorist bombings killed around 25 and injured up to 100 in two bombings...1 near the Four Seasons resort in Jimbaran (south of Kuta) and the other outside the Raja bar/restaurant, near Kuta Square shopping plaza. I agree this is a terrible to the just now recovering tourist dependant economy of Bali. The people and dive resorts on Balli surely need our support now.

JonnieB:
Reports say 2 terrorist bombings killed around 25 and injured up to 100 in two bombings...1 near the Four Seasons resort in Jimbaran (south of Kuta) and the other outside the Raja bar/restaurant, near Kuta Square shopping plaza. I agree this is a terrible to the just now recovering tourist dependant economy of Bali. The people and dive resorts on Balli surely need our support now.

Are you suggesting we divers continue to go there? Ignoring the inherent dangers, this is their second deadly bombing, is foolhardy. I look at it differently. If people stopped going there because of these extremists killing innocent people then business would suffer greatly, which would force the regular people to take some strong action against having this murderers in their community. If toursits/divers continue to go there and continue business as usual then there isn't much incentive for the nice people to drive these cowards out. I think it's only when Bali is empty of toursits, and tourist dollars and pounds, that the community will take decisvie action.

pilot fish:
Are you suggesting we divers continue to go there? Ignoring the inherent dangers, this is their second deadly bombing, is foolhardy. I look at it differently. If people stopped going there because of these extremists killing innocent people then business would suffer greatly, which would force the regular people to take some strong action against having this murderers in their community. If toursits/divers continue to go there and continue business as usual then there isn't much incentive for the nice people to drive these cowards out. I think it's only when Bali is empty of toursits, and tourist dollars and pounds, that the community will take decisvie action.

Hi pilot fish,

I think you might be reading a little too much into Johnnie's thread. He just said the area needs our support, which is true because support can come in any form.

If you'd like to vent or rant your views about the bombings, there's another thread that would benefit from your insight:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=114018

I've been reading it with interest.

chip104:
Hi pilot fish,

I think you might be reading a little too much into Johnnie's thread. He just said the area needs our support, which is true because support can come in any form.

If you'd like to vent or rant your views about the bombings, there's another thread that would benefit from your insight:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=114018

I've been reading it with interest.

It wasn't actually a rant, maybe a vent, but more a statement. We need to take a different approach, I think, to these types of killings by just ceasing to go there, which would force that Gov to take immediate, more immediate, action.

I will take a look at that other thread though.

Ignoring the inherent dangers, this is their second deadly bombing, is foolhardy. I look at it differently. If people stopped going there because of these extremists killing innocent people then business would suffer greatly, which would force the regular people to take some strong action against having these murderers in their community. If toursits/divers continue to go there and continue business as usual then there isn't much incentive for the nice people to drive these cowards out. I think it's only when Bali is empty of toursits, and tourist dollars and pounds, that the community will take decisvie action.

pilot fish:
Ignoring the inherent dangers, this is their second deadly bombing, is foolhardy. I look at it differently. If people stopped going there because of these extremists killing innocent people then business would suffer greatly, which would force the regular people to take some strong action against having this murderers in their community. If toursits/divers continue to go there and continue business as usual then there isn't much incentive for the nice people to drive these cowards out. I think it's only when Bali is empty of toursits, and tourist dollars and pounds, that the community will take decisvie action.

....and well said.

Dave

slingshot:
Good point, but much responsibility falls to the international Muslim community to condemn and root out those that seek to corrupt their faith and turn it into an ideology of murder and anarchy.

Amen to that. The international Muslim community needs to be a LOT MORE vocal in their condemnation of these acts. Killing people is not a path to Allah.

pilot fish:
Ignoring the inherent dangers, this is their second deadly bombing, is foolhardy. I look at it differently. If people stopped going there because of these extremists killing innocent people then business would suffer greatly, which would force the regular people to take some strong action against having these murderers in their community. If toursits/divers continue to go there and continue business as usual then there isn't much incentive for the nice people to drive these cowards out. I think it's only when Bali is empty of toursits, and tourist dollars and pounds, that the community will take decisvie action.

Not much incentive? According to CNN, 12 of the dead and 68 of the injured are Indonesians. Locals. And these people call this place home..... They're not on vacation. They don't get to leave. They deal with the fear of such attacks every day. Indonesians have been battling terrorism and religious extremism/intolerance for years..... looooong before 9/11. They have had a terrible and bloody history. Incentive??? So I guess as long as our tourist dollars are coming in, they don't care if their family, friends, businesses, and selves are blown up? Is that what you're saying?

pilot fish:
Pilot_Fish!

I disagreed with your thinking! The richest & most powerful country in the world with their inteligence and technologies, can't even hunt down those terrorists. How do you expect, a small island like Bali and it's residents, do that? A majority of the locals are living on a very low budget, kinda lives! They have to work really hard, in order to support their family and to put food on the table. How do you expect them to fight terrorism, when their main concern is to earn enough money to continue living! Look at attached pic:
img62523yw.jpg

By not going to Bali or anywhere, doesn't mean that the terrorists will stop, what they are doing. Just look at 9-11. By staying home (in your country), doesn't neccessary mean, you're safe. If the terrorists target a place, it doesn't matter where you are.

If I have to stay home, to be safe, then that defeats the meaning of living! One is living in fear and I'm sure that's what, the terrorists want! I'm unwilling to give in to those "cowards & their inhuman acts", :nonoway! This will not stop me from going to the Beautiful Island Of Bali! I will continue to dive there & support the locals!

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ed.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion and I respect yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom