Bali bombings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pilot fish:
The chances of you getting killed by a Muslim extremist coward in Coz or Dominica is remote. Bali has had two bombings and might have a third. Don't go their until Bali gets its house in order and gets as tough with Muslim extremist as it does with pot smokers.

You are only seeing and reacting to the Bali incident and this is only a small part of the picture. Yes Bali has had two bombs ( so has the US) and yes it may get a third but on the other hand they may never get bombed again and Coz may gets its first. If the tourist stop going to a particular destination so will the terrorist, they will move along with the tourist. There aim is to disrupt life as we know it and to them killing tourist is just a tool to achieve this.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the US has just started down a very long road with terrorism and you are not safe from them anywhere, believe me when the opportunity to strike comes again in the US they will.

The only place that hasen't been invaded by these terrorists is south America, and they have there own problems. Go, live your life and don't let these freaks win!

Very well said cdiver2. If we run in fear soon we will have no where to run. If the opportunity came up for me to got to New York City I would jump on it. I'll go out on a limb here and say that NYC leads the list on number of casualties from suicide bombers. But I'd love to see the city.

Joe

Wildcard:
The only place that hasen't been invaded by these terrorists is south America, and they have there own problems. Go, live your life and don't let these freaks win!
I heard they have already invaded S.A. And that is an understatement they have their own problems.

pilot fish:
Ed, we are hunting them down, remember Afghanastan?, and having some success in Iraq. If what you say is true, they are too busy on Bali putting food on the table to hunt down bombers and end terrorism, then that makes my point of not wanting to go their. Sorry, but something needs to change and me and my fellow divers being fresh victims is not the answer.

How many of the pepetrators of 9/11 were Afghans ? Zero ! What did the poor ordinary people of Afghanistan have to do with 9/11 ? They've already had their miserable homes pounded to a rubble by the Russians and now the campaign after 9/11 has rearranged their rubble.

Success ? Hmmm, I wonder where Osama bin Laden is ? Seems to me that after Iraq the world is a much more dangerous place. Remember Bali, Madrid and London were all hit only after Iraq. I wonder if Iraq has anything to do with these attacks. Trying to out-terrorise the terrorists is only creating more fertile ground for the terrorists to draw recruits. Remember the ones who carried out the London attacks. The answer has to be somewhere else.

I am definitely going to Bali next month. It's not planned but this is my own little way of supporting the people of Bali and persuading them that we sympathise with them as victims of terrorism. When I'm there, I am going to enjoy some great diving !!!

I went to Phuket 3 weeks after the tsunami and I brought along my daughter because we could not get enough people after the cancellations. We had a great time diving too. I also went to New York 2 months after 9/11.

Ordinary folks can all do their small bit in fighting and refusing to yield or cower to the terrorists.

Wildcard:

Why not S/America?. Drug lords=money= illegal access to the US for arms & terrorists

I neither urge people to go to Bali, not to avoid it, due to these bombings.

I personally have a problem subjecting myself to the laws of a nation that treats terrorist mass murderers almost casually while fairly routinely killing people for possession of pot. But that's just me. If that doesn't pose a problem for you -knowing that it could easily be your luggage that some baggage handler puts the stash in next time you go there & you could face life in prison or even death for it- then knock yourself out, have a good time & post a trip report when you get back.

As I won't be traveling across our border any time soon in any case, it doesn't matter whether I'm willing to go there or not. 2 or 3 years from now mnay be a different story, but for the time being an international vacation just isn't possible. But when the time comes, I do have to balance what I expect from the vacation against how I can be expected to be treated by their legal system should something go wrong, even the idea that it may be due to no fault or action on my part. Based on what I've seen so far, Bali simply does not impress me in this regard.

So far as terrorists & criminals go, at least here in the states I am armed & have the possibility of putting up a credible fight if assaulted. Most foreign destinations will require that I be disarmed & left to fight by hand. I do prefer being armed, as I'm not fond of the criminals being the only ones to have that advantage.

Stop crime. Shoot back :D

Wayward Son:
I neither urge people to go to Bali, not to avoid it, due to these bombings.

I personally have a problem subjecting myself to the laws of a nation that treats terrorist mass murderers almost casually while fairly routinely killing people for possession of pot. But that's just me. If that doesn't pose a problem for you -knowing that it could easily be your luggage that some baggage handler puts the stash in next time you go there & you could face life in prison or even death for it- then knock yourself out, have a good time & post a trip report when you get back.

As I won't be traveling across our border any time soon in any case, it doesn't matter whether I'm willing to go there or not. 2 or 3 years from now mnay be a different story, but for the time being an international vacation just isn't possible. But when the time comes, I do have to balance what I expect from the vacation against how I can be expected to be treated by their legal system should something go wrong, even the idea that it may be due to no fault or action on my part. Based on what I've seen so far, Bali simply does not impress me in this regard.

So far as terrorists & criminals go, at least here in the states I am armed & have the possibility of putting up a credible fight if assaulted. Most foreign destinations will require that I be disarmed & left to fight by hand. I do prefer being armed, as I'm not fond of the criminals being the only ones to have that advantage.

Stop crime. Shoot back :D

Well said. My sentiments exactly. I don't feel like putting my life at risk to prove someone else's point. If they view pot smoking as a more serious crime than terrorism then they can have that place all to themselves. No thanks.

tzeyap:
How many of the pepetrators of 9/11 were Afghans ? Zero ! What did the poor ordinary people of Afghanistan have to do with 9/11 ? They've already had their miserable homes pounded to a rubble by the Russians and now the campaign after 9/11 has rearranged their rubble.

Success ? Hmmm, I wonder where Osama bin Laden is ? Seems to me that after Iraq the world is a much more dangerous place. Remember Bali, Madrid and London were all hit only after Iraq. I wonder if Iraq has anything to do with these attacks. Trying to out-terrorise the terrorists is only creating more fertile ground for the terrorists to draw recruits. Remember the ones who carried out the London attacks. The answer has to be somewhere else.

I am definitely going to Bali next month. It's not planned but this is my own little way of supporting the people of Bali and persuading them that we sympathise with them as victims of terrorism. When I'm there, I am going to enjoy some great diving !!!

I went to Phuket 3 weeks after the tsunami and I brought along my daughter because we could not get enough people after the cancellations. We had a great time diving too. I also went to New York 2 months after 9/11.

Ordinary folks can all do their small bit in fighting and refusing to yield or cower to the terrorists.

It's important that you understand the issues involved and have some idea of the history of this recent rash or terrorism . We went into the Afghan mountains because that was a staging area for the terrorists, and where bin Laden was. The Taliban was operating out of there and killing and torturing the Afghan people. The people that planned and carried out the 911 horror were trained and funded by the Taliban in Afghanastan. Woman were being killed in the town square for not having heads and face covered. Would you like to go back to that? Would you want woman to be forbidden to go to school to learn to read or write?

_Bella_:
I will deffinitely continue going to Bali, Madrid, London, and maybe even New York. Of course, I intend to go out of this life enjoying myself and not hiding in a hole. The two things I enjoy are travelling and diving and doing both of those in SEAsia is the best place in the world to do it.

I'm not suggesting you hide in a hole. I am suggesting that we must do something different because what we are doing is not working. A government that views pot smoking as a more serious crime than terrorism and murder is not a place I'd like to go. Please read my earlier posts to understand what and why I'm saying, avoid Bali till that Governemnt gets more serious about protecting visitors from Muslim terrorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom