Bali bombings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pilot fish:
Those people ( the DM's, boatboys, waiters etc) in Bali who have worked hard to serve the international diving community and depend on us for their livelihood are victims of terrorism as much as those who were killed or maimed. They need our support and the pittance which we pay them to survive this crisis.

I am still going to Bali.

Kim:
The case against Abu Bashir is somewhat different. He is suspected of being the spiritual head of Jemaah Islamiah but the authorities have not produced or seem to have enough hard evidence to convict him. He received his 2 and a half years for other charges - not involvement in the Bali bombings. Indonesian courts seem to want proper evidence before they convict people. The point is though that all of the terrorist bombers that have actually been convicted in Indonesia have all received the death sentence, so it's ridiculous to deny this or compare their treatment with someone caught with a bag full of pot.

Thanks for the info. It's good to get educated before making strong statements.

I have no desire to put my family and friends in peril by traveling to Indonesia to dive to support busboys, waiters, hotel clerks or taxi drivers, especailly since that government, and people, have shown no support for England and the US's struggle against terrorism.

pilot fish:
I have no desire to put my family and friends in peril by traveling to Indonesia to dive to support busboys, waiters, hotel clerks or taxi drivers, especailly since that government, and people, have shown no support for England and the US's struggle against terrorism.

As far as I'm concerned you can do what you want. Where however do you get the information that Indonesia doesn't support the UK and the US against terrorists? Are you just trying to tell the world what you believe yourself - whether it's the truth or not? When I next go to Bali it will be to support human beings - whatever their jobs. It's a pity that you seem to find yourself above such people. You are probably right....stay home.

pilot fish:

You have made yourself heard loud and clear. Fine, that's your choice. Let it rest. You don't care nor want to have anything to do with Bali so just let it be. This thread was started for people who want to show sympathy and support to the people who are suffering. Bad enough to have to hear someone started making statement that they don't care and implied that the innocent people deserved it because they are not capable of preventing such tragedies.

You don't have to show your support by physically coming to Bali and put yourself at risk but showing a little respect and compassion should not be too much for one human to show to one another.

Kim:
As far as I'm concerned you can do what you want. Where however do you get the information that Indonesia doesn't support the UK and the US against terrorists? Are you just trying to tell the world what you believe yourself - whether it's the truth or not? When I next go to Bali it will be to support human beings - whatever their jobs. It's a pity that you seem to find yourself above such people. You are probably right....stay home.

If Indonesia supports the fight against Muslim extremist, terrorist they have been very quiet about it. I do not put myself above any other human, regardless of rank or station, but I don't feel like going to an unsafe place to dive to prove other people's point.

ssra30:
You have made yourself heard loud and clear. Fine, that's your choice. Let it rest. You don't care nor want to have anything to do with Bali so just let it be. This thread was started for people who want to show sympathy and support to the people who are suffering. Bad enough to have to hear someone started making statement that they don't care and implied that the innocent people deserved it because they are not capable of preventing such tragedies.

You don't have to show your support by physically coming to Bali and put yourself at risk but showing a little respect and compassion should not be too much for one human to show to one another.

I've already explained why I think we should avoid Bali. I won't repeat it. No innocent person deserves to die and I feel for them, but I don't feel compelled to join them, when I can avoid it. You don't like us but you like our dive dollars. If I or my family get blown to bits in a restaurant on Bali, how has that helped you, or Indonesia? I know what it does to me. No thanks!

pilot fish:
.....but I don't feel like going to an unsafe place to dive to prove other people's point.

As I said - you don't have to. The way you seem to feel I doubt that you'd enjoy yourself anyway. Travelling in Asia tends to need an attitude that is receptive to other cultures and peoples. As ssra30 said - please leave this thread alone now. You are obviously not interested and your comments about things that you seem to have little understanding of are very hurtful to many people.
I have many friends who have been going to Bali for the last 30 years. They know the locals. You obviously don't.

Kim:
As I said - you don't have to. The way you seem to feel I doubt that you'd enjoy yourself anyway. Travelling in Asia tends to need an attitude that is receptive to other cultures and peoples. As ssra30 said - please leave this thread alone now. You are obviously not interested and your comments about things that you seem to have little understanding of are very hurtful to many people.
I have many friends who have been going to Bali for the last 30 years. They know the locals. You obviously don't.

Fine. If you want to twist what I said there isn't much I can do about it, as you know. If I am attacked and my words and intent distrorted I will be back to defend myself. For you or anyone else on this board to advocate other divers travel to an unsafe destination seem counter productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom