Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With that in mind I am curious to know how often you have dive medicals done? What would trigger you to have a medical? Do you know if professional divers are required to have regular medicals and if so how often

Frankly you flatter yourself if you think your stating you have a low opinion of me is of any significance to me. I have seen nothing in your posts that generated any desire to impress you.

"Every person is my superior in that I may learn from them" I live by that adage so I stay open minded enough to learn from everyone no matter how good or bad their interpersonal skills are.

I earlier said that I was finished posting on this thread. However, since you seem to feel the need to bring up many of my past posts then I will respond to this one.

I have them yearly. Additionally, based upon the type of diving and in a proactive manner I have just scheduled to have a TEE done to determine if I might have a PFO. Which is a good example of where the Medical and Medical Insurance community does not necessarily do what is in the best interest of the patient or believe they are better to make the decision of what is in the patients best interest. Long story but let me just say they do not ALL actively support paying for proactive testing for a PFO although if you end up getting a severe case of DCS they MIGHT pay however you might not be around any longer to take the test depending upon the extent of your PFO and the dive profile. In my case I would rather make the decision myself in advance and that is why I will be paying for the test out of my pocket and regardless of the reluctant medical professionals.

I have not idea what professional divers do and whom you are considering professional divers. If you mean commercial divers I also have no idea what they do.

I decide for myself the timing and the type of medical clearance I need based upon taking responsibility for my own actions and recongnizing that if I die while diving the ones that suffer are the people left behind in my family. I am capable of deciding this because I do not approach the diving like a tourist that expects others to keep him/her safe when in the water. Instead I approach it with a healthy respect that on any one dive I might die even on a recreational dive and if I am going to engage in this type of risk then I want to understand it fully, assess the value of taking the risk and then take planned steps to minimize the risk or decide not to take it.

I am not going to respond to your condenscenting comments in this posting as it appears you do not even recognize when you are belittling. I will however appologize for the one I made earlier as a response to yours.

I am finished posting on this thread regardless of any more comments. If someone is interested I would be pleased to comment thru PM's

John

I earlier said that I was finished posting on this thread. However, since you seem to feel the need to bring up many of my past posts then I will respond to this one.

I have them yearly. Additionally, based upon the type of diving and in a proactive manner I have just scheduled to have a TEE done to determine if I might have a PFO. Which is a good example of where the Medical and Medical Insurance community does not necessarily do what is in the best interest of the patient or believe they are better to make the decision of what is in the patients best interest. Long story but let me just say they do not ALL actively support paying for proactive testing for a PFO although if you end up getting a severe case of DCS they MIGHT pay however you might not be around any longer to take the test depending upon the extent of your PFO and the dive profile. In my case I would rather make the decision myself in advance and that is why I will be paying for the test out of my pocket and regardless of the reluctant medical professionals.

I have not idea what professional divers do and whom you are considering professional divers. If you mean commercial divers I also have no idea what they do.

I decide for myself the timing and the type of medical clearance I need based upon taking responsibility for my own actions and recongnizing that if I die while diving the ones that suffer are the people left behind in my family. I am capable of deciding this because I do not approach the diving like a tourist that expects others to keep him/her safe when in the water. Instead I approach it with a healthy respect that on any one dive I might die even on a recreational dive and if I am going to engage in this type of risk then I want to understand it fully, assess the value of taking the risk and then take planned steps to minimize the risk or decide not to take it.

I am not going to respond to your condenscenting comments in this posting as it appears you do not even recognize when you are belittling. I will however appologize for the one I made earlier as a response to yours.

I am finished posting on this thread regardless of any more comments. If someone is interested I would be pleased to comment thru PM's

John

are you sure??

This thread was miles away from the OP after about page 5. Since then aside from a couple of posts from people that were actually there its been nothing but the same old monday morning quarterbacking over and over again.

By the way my comments to your post was to reinforce that common sense was way too broad of a statement. You thought it was a good thing and I think its a terrible thing so how could it be common sense. I would never want the dive operators using a medical screening so that they can make a decision what dive site I should or should not dive and certainly not because someone's lack of responsibility and accountability caused that to happen. There are too many other agenda that can come into play with such a requirement of which most would not be in my best interest but rather in the best interest of the dive operator or their insurance company. In fact I would say that most family doctors have no real knowledge about what does or does not effect diving and would most likely error on the side of conservatism. If we all followed that model then none of us would be diving either recreational or technical since the No Decompression Tables you are using are not an exact science.

ANY AND ALL DIVING IS RISKY. Some of us choose to learn what the risks are and how to minimize them and what factor cause a shift one way or the other. And then we dive with a plan rather than being a tourist expecting someone else like a DM or Shop to protect us and keep us safe. If you ask me that attitude which is displayed by many recreational divers over and over again each day is far more dangerous than any deep, long decompression, rebreather or cave dive I have done.

The comments about the Canadian Health Care system was me being sarcastic to make the piont that it was not common sense. Although, I have extensive first hand experience in the Canadain and USA medical systems and some in those of European and Asian countries. I could go on about this subject but it would be a waste of time in a scuba diving forum.

John

Well this is another example of a total worthless posting and that now make 626 posts. I guess you assume your the only one that understands the purpose for this forum such that you needed to show it to me.

I will continue with my opinion and you can continue your speculation. Good luck to anyone that thinks the time to read all 626 posts is useful to improve their diving. My advise is stop reading after about page 5 and you will have gotten 99% of the useful learning and then use the time you would of otherwise wasted reading the rest to go out and dive instead of internet diving.

Since you show AU as your home I suspect your opinion about predive approval comes from the regulations in place in AU that are not well know by divers in other countries. What might be useful would be for you to outline what these reguations are so that others understand your opinion and bias and then back up the fact that they are useful by presenting actual specific studies that indicate the divers in AU incur less accidents and incidents then divers in other countries and that this is directly attributed to these regulations.

John

I am sorry you have such a low opinion of your post but I certainly woundn't want to disagree with you!

I will. Sounds like someone is done adding value to this thread and should therefore just stop posting. For those of us that did (and may continue to) post, and continue reading, it is posts like theirs that complain about the direction of a thread that push people away. Not the "Monday Morning Quarterbacking".

I've read the thread over the past few days and really appreciate everyone (especially witnesses) who took the time to post.

I find Rip Van Winkle stories interesting - the ones in which a person awakes and finds the world has changed while they slept. And I guess I'm living one now, as I was an avid diver before beginning a family and am just now back in the water after a sixteen year hiatus. This one thread has given me insight into many changes! I have a lot to learn/relearn and I am glad to have the internet (a big change) to help. It is very cool to have a virtual dive shop to hang out in, listening to dive talk and learning from experienced professionals. Thanks to all of you.

It really is great to have a place like ScubaBoard isn't it. You may not agree with everybody, but almost each and every post will get your neurons firing and get you thinking. It is this exchange that really enables the sharing of information and ideas. It is for this reason that I tend to usually care less about the "direction" of a thread as long as it seems to be going somewhere useful IMO. There is almost always something to be learned from everybody out there.

Welcome to the board and dive safely withing your training and comfort but dive often.

I've read the thread over the past few days and really appreciate everyone (especially witnesses) who took the time to post.

I find Rip Van Winkle stories interesting - the ones in which a person awakes and finds the world has changed while they slept. And I guess I'm living one now, as I was an avid diver before beginning a family and am just now back in the water after a sixteen year hiatus. This one thread has given me insight into many changes! I have a lot to learn/relearn and I am glad to have the internet (a big change) to help. It is very cool to have a virtual dive shop to hang out in, listening to dive talk and learning from experienced professionals. Thanks to all of you.

I stopped reading about page 23 for lack of time. Can anyone tell me if onlyhalcyon ever came back? If so, what did he/she report? Or what page is their post?

I stopped reading about page 23 for lack of time. Can anyone tell me if onlyhalcyon ever came back? If so, what did he/she report? Or what page is their post?

Hi there I see you are fairly new to posting on the board so welcome! I am not sure how many posts you have set per page so I am not sure what page 23 is for you but I can give you a couple easy tips... (gotta be easy for me... I am not very computer literate:shakehead:)

You could go to onlyhalcyon's members page (easier is way is to click on the last post you see of theirs.. then to to Statistics there you can click on see all posts by Member and you can scan to find the post you are looking for.

You could also go to New Posts or navigate to the Accidents and Incidents Forum.... when you locate the thread you are interested in look to the right where it says number of replies... left click on the number and you will see a screen with a list of people who have posted in that thread and the number of posts. Currently it only shows 1 post by onlyhalcoyon in this thread so there has not been another post since the one you saw.

Hope this helps.. it took ages before someone told me about those tricks so I am just passing on the assistence I was given... Some great people and information on here welcome aboard:D

*end of hijack*

Hope this helps.. it took ages before someone told me about those tricks so I am just passing on the assistence I was given... Some great people and information on here welcome aboard:D

*end of hijack*

You are welcome for the tip. Many have said thanks since I posted it a while back.

Possible but sounds unlikely. I've seen it happen, but the reactions from this diver as reported don't seem to support incompetence - but clearly I could be wrong as I have zero first or second hand knowledge. Just something *feels* wrong about this incident. Doesn't *feel* like an incompetent getting it all wrong and getting buttons mixed up.

But something else feels wrong too. Getting the DM at the last minute... hmmm... If I were a little more CSI'd up I'd be dreaming up theories by the minute...

Here's a theory for you...just a speculation... Has her body ever surfaced? If not, that could indicate that she was over weighted. Perhaps she was assigned the DM by someone else as a condition to be allowed to dive this site (dive master, boat captain???)... she intended to end her life... she placed extra weight in her BC pockets before the dive...???? Pure speculation I realize!!! Could it have aided the rapid descent with the DM trying to inflate her B.C.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom