Baggage fees.. Tightening the Screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then between Atlanta & Coz on the smaller MD88 my carry on had to be gate checked due to size. Smaller plane = smaller carry on bag size allowance. This ended up costing me an extra 2 x $30 for the two bags on the way home.
MD88s are not regional jets are they? Hmmm, do MD88s have small bins or did they run out of room? Did they charge you for gate checking? You only gave a piece of the story there.

Well I hope Delta doesn't suck. They have the best deal going into CZM from WAS I could find for this coming trip.
I used to like them a lot but they quit Lubbock and much of Texas in the 90s. I have great benies with them still, and they now fly into LBB twice a day at least, but to Memphis only. LBB to MEM to ATL to CUN, then bag drag to PDC and ferry over, overnight both ways, doesn't work for me.

I use Delta alot only because the fly from the small airport (SWF) thats only 10 min my house. Traveling solo, its nice not to have to go to the NY metro airports. They can be a little late sometimes but they always get me to my destination. Going to CZM, I connect in ATL, the plane is a smallish one with little overhead storage. I have never had to gate check a bag on that flight but typically I bring a backpack and a duffle bag that fit under the seat and the small overhead. I have to imagine that the person complaining was carrying larger carry on bags. My last trip on Delta in May, (SWF-JAN)they did weigh my carry on (this one was a travelpro lite) and had to gate check it on every leg of my travel. Grabbed my Kindle and glasses and was a happy women. Will not let the small stuff get me down.

Then between Atlanta & Coz on the smaller MD88 my carry on had to be gate checked due to size. Smaller plane = smaller carry on bag size allowance. This ended up costing me an extra 2 x $30 for the two bags on the way home.

You shouldn't have had to pay for the bags on the way home unless you just chose to check them vs. having them gate-checked.

You shouldn't have had to pay for the bags on the way home unless you just chose to check them vs. having them gate-checked.

I had the same thought. We've taken CT a few times to Key West and the last leg is a small 19-seater with no overheads. Everything carry-on has to be gate checked, but we've never had to pay extra.

I love it, I especially can relate to sitting next to someone overflowing my space and stressing about my gear overflowing the scales. OK, that said..I am the queen of packing! I have trimmed down all my gear (lite BCD, lighter fins, etc.) that keeps me under the 50lb checked back limit. I just came back from overseas with a full set of gear (5mm head to toe) and all my personal stuff for a 17 day holiday in 1 checked bag and 1 personal carry on! I check a bag overseas because you are allowed one. For domestic warm water dives I manage to get it all in to a carry on suitcase and 1 personal bag. It has become my goal to not pay to bring luggage on a trip. i will admit, it is getting harder and one has to be more creative! :crafty:

Please allow me to vent....

I HATE DELTA!! Won't use them again.

Traveled from New Orleans to Cozumel last week via Atlanta. Boarding the plane took an extra 45 minutes because of a large group of band kids trying to board. They were at the airport before 5 am lined up & ready. Delta just couldn't handle the large group and amount of extra baggage (instruments I suppose)

Flight delay in Atlanta heading back to NOLA.

I hate Delta and won't fly with them again. Gosh I also miss that direct Houston to Coz flight too...

I made the connection in Atlanta both ways. Not hard to do with a +2 hr layover. Even in Atlanta.

And yes, the MD88's had smaller luggage bins than the 737 which is why I only had to check bags going one way. NOLA to Atlana (737) overhead bins big enough, ATL-->Coz (MD88) bins smaller, had to gate check them from Atl to Coz.

Yes they made me pay to check them from Coz to Atl because the first plane I boarded was the MD88, had it been the other way around I could have probably gotten away with it.

You're probably right...the MD88 carry on restrictions are probably posted, but we booked the plane 48 hrs before we flew so I had other things on my mind instead of checking this detail.

Perhaps I'm spoiled, my last trip to Coz was a direct flight from Houston to Coz. Probably <5 hrs door to door (including driving to the airport, parking and shuttle to the hotel). On a comfy 737.

I just don't like the options I had with Delta and liked Continental more. Total experience from the smiles on the Flight attendants faces to the size of the overhead bins. I'll pick what works for me best next time and hey, that may be the cheapest flight and easiest connection/available flight. We'll see.

Perhaps I'm spoiled, my last trip to Coz was a direct flight from Houston to Coz. Probably <5 hrs door to door (including driving to the airport, parking and shuttle to the hotel). On a comfy 737.
Don't be too quick to write off the HOU to CZM option. They have cut back that route during the late summer before and probably will be back to full strength again by the fall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom