Baggage fees.. Tightening the Screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes they made me pay to check them from Coz to Atl because the first plane I boarded was the MD88, had it been the other way around I could have probably gotten away with it.
Ok that was wrong, unless your roll-ons are larger than legal limits but you got away with them on the way down. 22" x 14" x 9" is the airline's limit - total deminsions including handles, which is the same as others I think.

Holy Crap.
21 pages of "I dont get to travel in luxury, If I pay economy fares.

If you can afford $3000.00 in camera gear. You can afford to pay transportation charges for the extra gear. JFFS your Pelican Case costs more than extra airlines charge.

Stay home. Pay the fee's or quit complaining.
But stop acting entiteled to quality treatment at bargain prices.

I plan on going to COZ with my wrist computer, wet suit and mask. The rest of it I will rent. It is what it is. And I dont carry on. I hate people who carry on to save a buck.
When my son was 6 months we bought him a seat just so no one was in convienced and we could put him in a child seat.

Ok Falcon, it is all easier for those who want to dive rental gear. Not me.

Holy Crap.
21 pages of "I dont get to travel in luxury, If I pay economy fares.

If you can afford $3000.00 in camera gear. You can afford to pay transportation charges for the extra gear. JFFS your Pelican Case costs more than extra airlines charge.

Stay home. Pay the fee's or quit complaining.
But stop acting entiteled to quality treatment at bargain prices.

geez.. not again..:banghead:

So you really (REALLY) think $200.00 ($400.00 round trip) for one pound over weight is quality treatment..:confused:

Last edited:
bleh the airlines have been robbing people for a while.I spend almost 200 hours a year flying back and forth across the globe each year. and it just gets more and more ridiculous. the typical trend for most stuff is for prices to go down over time as technology improves. with flight its in reverse.

airlines use technology to make bigger faster planes that hold more people crammed into ever shrinking spaces...all the while increasing prices for everything even things that use to be free. Soon we will be either strapped in standing up or layed down into some locker system so they can fit even more people and charge us triple what we pay now. paying for food, paying to use the toilet. maybe they should charge for the compressed air on the plane too. lol

200 dollars for 1 lb over is not fair at all nor does it make any sense.

I also agree $200 is ridiculous for being 1 pound (or more) over 50 pounds. The few times that I have been slightly or mildly over the limit, I go to curbside check-in (when possible), with a $5 or $10 "gift or tip" :) Does wonders ! My last trip on Jet Blue to the Bahamas, last month, I knew I was right at 50 lbs on one of my bags. The guy didn't even weigh it. I said to him "I'm right at 50, you sure you don't want to throw it on the scale to make sure" ? He said "Naw, I can tell when they're over 50 pounds, you're good". There's a point here somewhere :confused: And, I'm not saying that I have perfectly delightful experiences every time I travel, be it luggage issues, carry on hassles, TSA issues, etc. I think we have all "been there" at one time or another. These days, any hassle or adverse experience is all part of the game, and to be expected. None of it will EVER stop me from traveling and diving. :D

We don't have curbside check-in in Lubbock or Cozumel. All they do is carry your bags to the front of the line, but you still wait in line for agent check-in.

The reason that airlines are 'robbing" the public is simple economics. They are trying to stay in business in the face of economic hardship amongst their customer base which has driven revenues down and escalating fuel prices which have driven expenses up. They have cut expenses by slimming down their staff and canceling flights, but some are fixed. It's a tough game to stay in. Any airline that tries to do business as usual as defined 10 years ago will be out of business very soon.

It does no good to whine about it. It is what it is, and we must play the hand that is dealt us.

I plan on going to COZ with my wrist computer, wet suit and mask. The rest of it I will rent. It is what it is. And I dont carry on. I hate people who carry on to save a buck.
When my son was 6 months we bought him a seat just so no one was in convienced and we could put him in a child seat.

Falcon, I get two bags free and only check one. I carry on the things that I want to make sure don't get lost (camera, computer and regulator). Its not about saving a buck. If you don't carry on bags, what difference does it make to you what others are doing?

Maybe we should have a bag watch auxillary division of the Scuba Police.

The reason that airlines are 'robbing" the public is simple economics. They are trying to stay in business in the face of economic hardship amongst their customer base which has driven revenues down and escalating fuel prices which have driven expenses up. They have cut expenses by slimming down their staff and canceling flights, but some are fixed. It's a tough game to stay in. Any airline that tries to do business as usual as defined 10 years ago will be out of business very soon.

It does no good to whine about it. It is what it is, and we must play the hand that is dealt us.

Horsepuckey.

They CHOOSE to price the way they do. By breaking it down, they get to present an artificially low price. I want an all-in price, which is what most people want. Don't nickle and dime me, just give me the price.

Airline pricing needs to be re-regulated. They play with this pricing all the time, still manage to get it wrong, and every few years go through a bankruptcy cycle. Airline management is an oxymoron.

Simplify the structure so people know what they are buying, and price it to make a proper profit.

Back
Top Bottom