Baggage Charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When working in baggage service, I have reimbursed people for lost sporting goods, but only if the insurance was paid.

As for someones comments about having it in three bags, our rules specifically state...

SCUBA EQUIPMENT IS *NOT* ACCEPTED FREE IN LIEU OF ONE
03 BAG AND WILL BE CHARGED $80.00USD PER ITEM
04 .
05 ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ARE CONSIDERED *ONE ITEM* EVEN IF
06 PACKAGED SEPARATELY:
07 1-SCUBA TANK(*) 1-TANK HARNESS 1-REGULATOR
08 1-PRESSURE GAUGE 1-MASK 2-FINS
09 1-SNORKEL 1-KNIFE 1-SPEARGUN(**)
10 1-SAFETY VEST
11 - MORE - ¥>>
D<
12 (*) TANK CANNOT CONTAIN MORE THAN 40PSI COMPRESSED AIR
13 (**) SPEAR GUN CO2 CARTRIDGES MUST BE SHIPPED AS
14 DANGEROUS GOODS

Sorry about the capital letters. That is how our computer displays it. As you can see, you can have your stuff packed in more than one bag, because you are not getting charged for the bag, but the equipment instead.

As for charging $80 for a $75 mask, do you only travel with a mask? I highly doubt it, so I do not see where this comes into play.

Now, things night have changed as far as reimbursement levels since I left there, I mean it was over 6 years ago. So I will have to check.

I just looked at baggage value. We will cover up to $2500. This has gone up since I worked there quite a bit since I worked there.

I've checked DL's site, and nowhere do I find this $80 scuba charge referred to as relating to insurance. The $2500 cap would apply to scuba gear, though apparently not to dive computers or photo/video gear. Passengers can double the insurance cap by paying an extra $50.

Oddly enough, both golf and ski equipment are included in the free baggage allowance, despite the extra bulk. Now why is that?

Also checked AA and CO's sites. Neither of them appear to charge for scuba gear, excluding tanks.

Sounds like a BS charge to me, since the competition doesn't even bother with it.

Originally posted by PA/NJdiver
Waterlover is correct. The woman asked what was in the box, and he said scuba gear. She then said there would be an $80 charge. She looked it up on her computer and in a book she had on her desk.

From now on, we will lie.

Stacey

Call me a prude, but I would rather vote with my dollars than lie. American, Continental, southwest and america west do not have special charges for Scuba, Delta has a $75 charge and united has a "we will tell you at the gate" charge.

US Air's policy is listed below. If they tried to charge me (and somehow forced me to pay at the gate) I would get my money back after I went home by sending a letter quoting the policy from their website which has no mention of travel charges. I would also dispute the charge with my credit card company.

http://www.usairways.com/customers/travel_policies/baggage/index.htm

Look, I don't care what the website says, or what other airlines do, or if the charge is stupid. I am simply telling you what I was told when I worked in the baggage department, and what I was trained. I agree that the charge should be dropped. I personally do not agree with it. Like I said, I am simply stating how I was trained. Of course, please remember this is over 7 years ago, when ALL of the airlines charged this fee.

Originally posted by seabass

Call me a prude, but I would rather vote with my dollars than lie. American, Continental, southwest and america west do not have special charges for Scuba, Delta has a $75 charge and united has a "we will tell you at the gate" charge.

US Air's policy is listed below. If they tried to charge me (and somehow forced me to pay at the gate) I would get my money back after I went home by sending a letter quoting the policy from their website which has no mention of travel charges. I would also dispute the charge with my credit card company.

I agree with you 100%. While I don't want to tell people to not fly my airline, as it is the one that pays for my SCUBA stuff, I would tell them to write and explain why they feel the charges are bs.

Originally posted by seabass

by sending a letter quoting the policy from their website which has no mention of travel charges

It's vague...

An extra charge applies for additional, overweight, and/or oversized pieces. In no event will US Airways accept baggage that weighs more than 100 pounds and/or baggage that measures in single dimensions more than 72 inches or combined dimensions exceeding 115 inches. Special items such as pets, surfboards, bicycles, scuba equipment, etc. are not included in the customer's free baggage allowance and are subject to an extra charge

Originally posted by JamesK
Look, I don't care what the website says, or what other airlines do, or if the charge is stupid. I am simply telling you what I was told when I worked in the baggage department, and what I was trained.
And I was simply pointing out that the answer they gave you isn't reflected in the information they give the public. It's nothing personal, JamesK, just an observation.

I understand. Sorry if that sounded harsh. I am having a bad day at work. :upset: Actually, the past 3 days have been horrible, and it is just building up. LOL. I guess you became the "victim". Sorry.

If you worked for an airline, you will notice what is told to the public, ain't always what is told to the employees. lol. :wink:

Originally posted by Spectre

It's vague...

An extra charge applies for additional, overweight, and/or oversized pieces. In no event will US Airways accept baggage that weighs more than 100 pounds and/or baggage that measures in single dimensions more than 72 inches or combined dimensions exceeding 115 inches. Special items such as pets, surfboards, bicycles, scuba equipment, etc. are not included in the customer's free baggage allowance and are subject to an extra charge

Actually I think it is pretty clear. They will charge you, but don't tell you how much. I just missed it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom