Baggage Charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterlover

Contributor
Reaction score
I just returned from a diving trip to Seattle and on the return flight I was questioned what was in the baggage. When I said scuba gear the gate worker( US Air) said there will be an extra charge for each bag with gear in of $80 a bag. I said they didn't charge me on the way here why do you want to charge me now? She said that the airline may start enforcing the charge (she looked it up it's on the books) because of increased security costs they are incurring. Just some info for the traveling diver. You want to be prepared tell them what's in the bags. I didn't get charged but she said be prepared in the future.
Ken

Don't ask, don't tell...when it comes to airline employees.

Or you could fly an airline, Continental for example, that doesn't charge extra for scuba gear.

I flew US Air to North Carolina a month ago... and I had no questions/problems.

I'm going to take a guess that $80 is a typo, as I can't imagine a bag that wouldn't have less than $80. Hell, clothes for a weekend would exceed $80. Now I know they charge extra for bags over 70 _lbs_, but I know nothing of restrictions based on value.

Waterlover is correct. The woman asked what was in the box, and he said scuba gear. She then said there would be an $80 charge. She looked it up on her computer and in a book she had on her desk.

From now on, we will lie.

Stacey

Originally posted by PA/NJdiver
She then said there would be an $80 charge.

Ahh... I misread...

I know you answered already, but I just want to make sure...

Are you _sure_ the query for what was in the box and the fee were related, and it wasn't that it was just because the box was over 70 lbs and therefore the $80 was the overweight charge?

The $80 per bag charge was because it contained diving equipment, not weight. There is a whole list of sporting equipment that they can charge extra for just because it is in your bag. I don't remember the other things listed. The box weighed less than 55 pounds.
Ken

Originally posted by Waterlover
There is a whole list of sporting equipment that they can charge extra for just because it is in your bag

Oh geez! That's just nuts!

Yep... I'll be lying as well. "I'm sorry... due to government secrets, I can't tell you..."

I just returned from Cozumel and I can tell you that the Cancun and Cozumel airports are inconsistent to say the least. I was with a group of 23 divers, some were never questioned about having more than one bag. Yet others were charged for being overweight and then others like myself were charged because I had two bags. Told me I was only allowed one. Now how in the world do you go on a dive vacation with only one bag. That is a total rip off and they know they have you over a barrel. Go figure.
Next trip I will take the ferry over to Coz.

There are definitely gear related charges. Delta I think charges 70 for scuba. There was a website that was posted a few months ago that lists all the charges from the various airlines.

Some try to charge for each bag that contains gear....even if it's only your mask or computer....and even if you're within the normal limits for weight and number of bags.

Contrast that with the free allowances for bulky golf clubs.....

It's an outrageous ripoff.

Back
Top Bottom