bag drag or CUN-CZM via air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My feelings as well. From the site it looks like it might be as low as $90/pp with the right configuration. Too much for pure transportation. Their main business is aerial tours so if you view it in those terms it might be more palatable. I'm sure he would fly you low along the mainland coastline and perhaps a loop around the island for sightseeing.

Always nice to have good info in your back pocket for when you might need it.

My impression of the ferries comes mainly from online pics I saw of it, and they have always appeared full to the brim. But it’s highly possible that that’s just for advertising! And that one other time I walked past it while strolling along 5th Avenue - also pretty crowded that time.

Yes and no for me regarding the crowding - guessing that it has varied from 40 to 75%. The worst part for potential exposure is probably the boarding and the exit. I would probably be last on and last off. Also, sometimes the long lines are for a separate shuttle for the cruise ships.

Yes and no for me regarding the crowding - guessing that it has varied from 40 to 75%. The worst part for potential exposure is probably the boarding and the exit. I would probably be last on and last off. Also, sometimes the long lines are for a separate shuttle for the cruise ships.

Right...I forgot about the cruise ships! They have tours that take the ferries to the mainland. I’m now pretty sure that all those lines I saw in PDC were for the cruise ship tours. Makes complete sense now that I think about it.

Honestly, I don’t think cruises will be too crowded in the near future so probably means less cruisers taking the ferry. All good in my mind.

If people actually READ my question, they would know I wasn’t asking about the bag drag per se. I know pretty well how it works after being in the Coz forum a couple of years, and although I haven’t done it myself. Not my first time to Coz. I was asking about bag drag vs plane in the context of covid-19 risks, whether the plane would be lower risk due to less people on them, and ferry higher risk due to the higher number of people on them and the tendency for crowds, based on the pics I’ve seen of them.

Now if people will just read and not assume, wouldn’t this be a better forum and a better world? And yes, I’m very appreciative of those always patient members who can actually read (for one) and answer without the snarkiness. They’re always the same folks and Scubaboard should be proud to have them.

Use your eyes and READ the original question folks!
Actually, I missed that focus. As far as exposure risk, I would certainly go with the ferry over the plane as the load packing would be tighter on the latter. Instead of a cheap bus ride, books private transfers. I've used Chief's van guy a few times, cheaper than any others, almost always on time, handles own text communications, etc.

If you book with a resort that provides the transfer it makes the process easier
Well, you'll pay twice as much for that, and you have to connect with that van rather than whoever is ready to go.

ut it can save you some cash
True for some. Usually not true for me. It varies.

Although the installation of that quick Covid-19 test (if it really happens) sure complicates things. Causes one to pause and think. Thanks.
Yeah, I'd hate that. Take a cheap bid test purchased based on highest bribe paid by a newly trained local, get a false positive, spend the whole trip in quarantine. I think I would pause the trip if that was the expectation.

If people actually READ my question, they would know I wasn’t asking about the bag drag per se. I know pretty well how it works after being in the Coz forum a couple of years, and although I haven’t done it myself. Not my first time to Coz. I was asking about bag drag vs plane in the context of covid-19 risks, whether the plane would be lower risk due to less people on them, and ferry higher risk due to the higher number of people on them and the tendency for crowds, based on the pics I’ve seen of them.

Now if people will just read and not assume, wouldn’t this be a better forum and a better world? And yes, I’m very appreciative of those always patient members who can actually read (for one) and answer without the snarkiness. They’re always the same folks and Scubaboard should be proud to have them.

Use your eyes and READ the original question folks!

Sorry, it didn't occur to me that you were asking a bunch of scuba divers on the internet if it was safe to travel on potentially packed plane, then a bus and then a ferry to go on vacation or if 2 planes was safer.

Because why would you get safety information on covid from scuba divers?

Now I am amused picturing someone in ICU on a ventilator thinking "But the guy on the scuba forums said it was safe..."

On a more serious note, I would consider reading this about how a single person with SARS infected 20 people in a plane including 7 rows away.
Air China Flight 112 - Wikipedia

If you don't like wikipedia, you could review this CDC article about how a person infected his whole office at a Korean call center. They have a map of the office so you can see how it spread. Note how the staff sit close together like you would on a bus or a plane or a ferry.
Coronavirus Disease Outbreak in Call Center, South Korea

If you do go, I recommend reading this on the plane. It is a brilliant book by the late scientist Carl Sagan. It could not be more appropriate in today's times.
https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Haunted-World-Science-Candle-Dark/dp/0345409469

Yeah, I'd hate that. Take a cheap bid test purchased based on highest bribe paid by a newly trained local, get a false positive, spend the whole trip in quarantine. I think I would pause the trip if that was the expectation.

That's exactly my concern. False positives and 14 days quarantine as a result. But we'll see. It may not materialize as reported. Let's hope not anyway.

Private charters, vans,etc are sometimes shared with other travelers going to the same area.
If you want to be the only ones in the vehicle, make sure you check before making the reservation.

Ferries now have more frequent departures.

Dave Dillehay

I would be a little hesitant to get on the ADO bus these days. Pre pandemic, I was a frequent passenger on it. I would spring for a cab this summer. As far as the ferry goes, at least on that you can stay outside and hope for decent weather. If you're outside, keep your distance, and use hand sanitizer after you touch common surfaces, I would guess the risk is fairly low.

It's usually more than 2 hours from the time you leave the CUN airport until you arrive on the island. The bus trip is an hour, the ferry is around 45 minutes, and you can plan on waiting a half hour for each. So that's close to 3 hrs. This summer I would spend the extra money on a direct flight to Coz unless it was basically impossible to do that.

I am planning a July trip to cave dive on the mainland. I'm flying to CUN, and getting a ride from someone I know directly to the house I'm staying in, with the people I'm diving with, so minimal exposure other than the flight. I'm still pretty nervous about it.

One more tip, when you post something asking advice on an internet forum and you get a response you don't like, it's usually best to just ignore it rather than get into it. We've all been guilty of snapping back but it's really not worth it, and it makes the thread less appealing for others who do want to help you.

I would be a little hesitant to get on the ADO bus these days. Pre pandemic, I was a frequent passenger on it. I would spring for a cab this summer. As far as the ferry goes, at least on that you can stay outside and hope for decent weather. If you're outside, keep your distance, and use hand sanitizer after you touch common surfaces, I would guess the risk is fairly low.

It's usually more than 2 hours from the time you leave the CUN airport until you arrive on the island. The bus trip is an hour, the ferry is around 45 minutes, and you can plan on waiting a half hour for each. So that's close to 3 hrs. This summer I would spend the extra money on a direct flight to Coz unless it was basically impossible to do that.

I am planning a July trip to cave dive on the mainland. I'm flying to CUN, and getting a ride from someone I know directly to the house I'm staying in, with the people I'm diving with, so minimal exposure other than the flight. I'm still pretty nervous about it.

One more tip, when you post something asking advice on an internet forum and you get a response you don't like, it's usually best to just ignore it rather than get into it. We've all been guilty of snapping back but it's really not worth it, and it makes the thread less appealing for others who do want to help you.
Not to be snapping back or anything :), but the ferry schedules are pretty severely curtailed these days, so one would possibly have to wait longer for a ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom