No more Mayan Air, any changes in Bag Drag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks folks! I will book the service to meet us and drive us, at least on the trip to PDC.

Judy, you stated exactly my experience, I minus the crying babies. I first got certified over 20 years ago in CZM. I appreciate the helpful posts.
Nothing against ADO but after getting up at 5am to go to the airport in NY, it’s nice to have a car waiting.
I do have both global entry and mobile passport control. We are retired and travel a lot.

Years ago, there were direct flights from NYC to CZM. I don’t know why the government doesn’t push for them. It would make Cozumel more competitive with other islands from the Tri-state region.

Years ago, there were direct flights from NYC to CZM. I don’t know why the government doesn’t push for them. It would make Cozumel more competitive with other islands from the Tri-state region.
The government really has no control over it, they can't even make the ferry companies compete or return to the pre-pandemic schedule.
There used to be a seasonal Saturday schedule from Philadelphia but I don't know if it is running this year. Ten years ago AA tried an evening in and morning out flight from DFW but it failed due to the plane being half empty. It was great for folks connecting to either Coast. I think the traffic has increased enough to try it again but they lack available aircraft due to staffing and both Boeing and Airbus not being able to produce aircraft in a timely or consistent manner.

The biggest issue with the bag drag for me is the utter randomness of baggage collection in Cancun. I've been on flights where it took me all of 20 minutes to deplane, collect my bags, clear immigration, and be out front waiting for my van to get there. And then I've had other times where it took over 2 hours to get my bags. I'll take a reasonable layover in ATL any day of the week to get direct into Cozumel.

No other choice for cave diving down south of Tulum though. Wonder if I should start doing the reverse bag-drag and just fly into cozumel and take the ferry to PDC and the bus down to Tulum. :)

No other choice for cave diving down south of Tulum though. Wonder if I should start doing the reverse bag-drag and just fly into cozumel and take the ferry to PDC and the bus down to Tulum. :)
Yup. I've done that a few times and it really isn't that bad. And if you schedule your cenote dives at the end of your trip you don't need to soak your gear when you get home. (yay, fresh water diving)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom