bag drag or CUN-CZM via air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think MAYAir routes between CUN and CZM had issues before the crisis, so who knows where they stand now. I would make certain they were running consistently before relying on them

Just to be clear , I have nothing against MAYAir. I used them off and on for years and never had a problem. . Haven’t been paying too much attention lately because I had been able to schedule directly into Cozumel. I just have it in the back of my mind there were some schedule issues somewhere in the past 18 months

Oh please! Go diving!
I don’t normally dive over the summer. I like to take advantage of the nice weather and boat, ski or track my motorcycles....but we are already booked for December in CZM...hope to see you there.

I cannot resist the urge to plan my next vacation to Coz. Hearing of re-openings this week has caused me great eagerness to plan something. However, Toronto does not have direct flights into Coz until October at the earliest. I can't wait that long. I'm thinking of traveling maybe in July, August, or September. I do not want to transit through the US - I figure one less border to deal with, the better. So it looks like YYZ-CUN is the better option, but how do I get to CZM? Bag drag or via air? I'm curious which might be "safer". Being stuck in a small plane with less than 20 people for 20 minutes? Or being stuck on a ferry with I have no idea how many other people for 45 (?) minutes? Maybe it doesn't really matter and I'm overthinking this. After all, I would have been stuck with I don't know how many people on a plane for 4 hours from YYZ! Any thoughts? Just trying to reduce the risks, that's all.
Another alternative to the ADO bus would be to do a private van. I have used Canada Transfers on a number of occasions and hav e been very pleased with their service. If there will be two of you, it will be more expensive than ADO, but not prohibitively so, in my opinion and you will have the van to yourself. Dave brought up a good point about the frequency of ferries though. I wasn't even thinking about that, so definitely something to look into. Cancun Airport Transportation - Canada Transfers Official Site

The ferries will be mostly empty…but just twice a day. From CUN airport should be no problem. Hope you don't get stuck in Playa Del Carmen. If you can get Mayair flight in a reasonable time frame GO FOR IT

Dave Dillehay
Ferries are currently two a day, but don't you expect that to change significantly by July or August?

Of course, travel can be an adventure of its own.

Ferries are currently two a day, but don't you expect that to change significantly by July or August?

Of course, travel can be an adventure of its own.

should be fine as the toronto flight lands at 2:30 and the ferry is at 5pm... dandy, remind me how much you pay the porters to drag the bags 3 blocks from the car down to the ferry on their little buggies?

Apologies, flight lands in cancun at 1.25pm local time. Lots of time to sit in the step of senior frogs and wish it was open whilst waiting for the ferry.

mine would expect it’s pretty quick to get through cancun arrivals nowadays...

should be fine as the toronto flight lands at 2:30 and the ferry is at 5pm... dandy, remind me how much you pay the porters to drag the bags 3 blocks from the car down to the ferry on their little buggies?
I probably should pay more than I do with my 120 pounds or more of luggage, but I don't remember really. I guess $5 to $10. One trip I after arriving Cancun late, then a dentist visit in town, I got to the dock late, caught that very late ferry that used to run before it went out of business in a scandal, got to the Cozumel dock and grabbed the only porter on the dock. He carried my bags and my body to Mary Carmen's. I should have given him a $20 that late at night, but I think I undertipped him.

Also, where would you advise to buy a slab (24) of beers in Cozumel?

NVM I’ll go to mega :wink:

Yeah. That’s in line. I’m thinking $5 a bag especially as business has been tight recently...
Yeah, $5/bag would probably be good - $15 for my 3 bags from the bus station, $5-10 from the ferry to the taxis in Cozumel, $20 for the hombre who insists I ride with my bags all the way to Mary Carmens. More would be nice if one feels the urge.

Also, where would you advise to buy a slab (24) of beers in Cozumel?

NVM I’ll go to mega :wink:
I don't drink beer anymore. Why bother if I'm not going to drink a sixpack, which is a bad nightly habit that can lead to more. I buy a cheap coffee maker at Mega, a couple of liters of Kahlua, and bring my filters, coffee, and a quart jug with me. I won't finish two liters in a week, but one is never enough. Then I give the coffee maker to someone when I leave.

Back
Top Bottom