Backward Entry - aka, "Sunkist Splash"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer

Contributor
Reaction score
In a car underwater with time to kill....
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm curious as to why this alternative to the giant stride is not more popular: Hold mask and reg per usual, turn around backwards after clearing the water below the platform, and then look up... up... up... until you fall back into the water, the tank and your shoulders and backside absorbing the impact of the water.

I did this last time I was in Key Largo, and the boat captain made some snide remark about, "that macho crap." The thing is, it's not. It's a lot easier and more gentle entry than striding off and splatting your face against the water.

Anyone else try this or use it? I far prefer it to the giant stride...

i actually prefer the roll back to the giant stride. on our recent trip (refer my sig line) my first thoughts when i saw the boat was "oh, you cant roll back off this boat"

why i prefer it: quicker to get me into the water. as i suffer sea sickness, i can be seated all geared up, once we are anchored im in the water and heading down the achor line while others on the boat are fart-a****g around with their fins and weights ect

genenerally hubby and i get at least an extra 10mins of dive time because others on the boat (they have to have guides for their dives) are messing around and plodding to the platform (and for our recent dive trip i made sure we were always at the platform first for this reason)

cheers

Well, I haven't rolled back off of the gunwales before, but just going backwards off of the platform, it just makes for a sweeter, smoother entry. It's like sinking into a waterbed.

That said, I really do hate plodding to the back of the boat, wearing my fins, especially on a pitching, rolling six-pack. It sucks.

I prefer to do a front roll...just lean in over the water, drop in head first and roll out to the surface.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I remember it being unnerving first time we did it on OW course. It felt unnatural and and unsafe to fall where your eyes weren't on that side... However, I see a lot of divers and especially divers in doubles doing it. It makes a lot of sense to me when you have heavy gear on and if you have fins on already and are waddling towards the edge. Why turn and waddle any longer than needed? Especially if you have to climb any steps or over anything, just go over the with the least resistance after the all-clear glance. Many divers I've seen do this do it into current and as a hot drop. I am still a bit uneasy doing it with doubles as I feel like there is a change I might plummet...

The backward roll is the most fun entry for me. Most of the boats around here are not set up for that, though. You'd have to climb up the bench.

I'm not sure about the falling back into the water from the platform. I'll have to try it. Generally, you would have further to fall than a giant stride. But, if the captain is ok with it, I think I'll try it.

Looking at the water makes it more likely you'll avoid other divers in the water.

It also allows the instructor to press the tank if necessary.

"Sunkist Splash"? It's the Nestea Plunge. I enjoy it, but if you're looking for an entry that is "easier and more gentle," instead of falling back, simply step back.

Well, I don't dive with my instructor, unless we are diving together as buddies. And before the entry, whether a giant stride or the "sunkist splash," I always make sure the water is clear of other divers.

Basically, it's going out to the edge of the platform, looking, and then turning around and going in butt/back-first. It's no more dangerous than the giant stride.

Walter got it. "Nestea Plunge." :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom