Backward roll for high entries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always found that, a big step out while giving the body a half turn and letting the tank bring you through surface works best for me.

All I would say with regards to this is please don't do the sort of entries we watched another group of divers do from a nearby boat.

Virtually all were using selfie sticks with gopros and were doing various different stride entries (ranging from front, side on and backwards) with twists mid air. The vast majority had no idea what was below them when they jumped (busy looking at the camera) and at least one diver had to be grabbed by the harness to stop him jumping backwards on to his dive buddy who had just splashed! If the crew hadn't been as aware, I reckon there would have been quite a few smashed masks and skulls from connection with ali tanks.

Seemed a lot higher looking down at the water. :p

You've any idea how high 5 m is looking down when you're 9yo? Takes very big guts the first time. :wink:

As I recall there is a jump like that, a bit lower I think, on Bonaire. You have to drift to the next site and then hike back to fetch the car.

You've any idea how high 5 m is looking down when you're 9yo? Takes very big guts the first time. :wink:

Why yes. I was about 12 living in Germany. The swim club had a 10m platform. Olympic class divers have to practice somewhere I guess. Anyhow at 10m the large pool looks more like a postage stamp which you swear you're going to miss. I dove off it a few times. After a bad entry (painful!) I realized what a dumb-butt I was and stuck to jumping after that.

The vast majority had no idea what was below them when they jumped (busy looking at the camera) and at least one diver had to be grabbed by the harness to stop him jumping backwards on to his dive buddy who had just splashed! If the crew hadn't been as aware, I reckon there would have been quite a few smashed masks and skulls from connection with ali tanks.

Yeah, on several dives, I've had the crew ask me what I'm waiting for. Sometimes it's hard to tell how far under the surface the previous diver is. I'd rather wait another 30 seconds or so to ensure I don't crash down on another diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom