Backward roll for high entries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a shore dive site that we call The Leap because the entry is just that, a drop from a rock into the water, at least 2.5 metres high at high tide. The best method is as many have mentioned above, keeping your feet together with your toes pointing upwards. A comment about the site, once you are in, you cannot exit back onto the rock, so have to either complete the dive or swim about 400 metres to the nearest safe exit.

Hey Mike, what boat is that?

That is Wookie's own dearly departed MV Spree, may she sail in peace under her new identity! Looking forward to the further adventures of Captains Frank and Mel in the next chapter of their lives...

Other than the boat deck level, I am not aware of any technical reason to perform a back roll as opposed to a giant stride.

Giant strides are performed from flat level decks. Back rolls are performed when the side of the boat is higher than the deck (which means you can not perform a giant stride).

Anyone have any technical reason for a preference? Does height matter?

The reason for the "giant" stride is to get you as far away from the boat as possible when you enter the water, so that if you mis-time your jump and the boat is rolling the wrong way, you don't hit anything on the way in. But you don't need to actually enter the water with your legs apart.

I don't like back rolls, especially when wearing lots of gear (doubles, deco bottles, etc..). Mainly for diving from inflatables or other small craft.

And in our neighborhood, we have the "Jersey Roll", which is for dive boats without a tuna door or other cut in the side of the boat. You kneel with your outboard knee on the gunwale, inboard foot on the deck, facing forward, and roll sideways. Works OK.

The reason for the "giant" stride is to get you as far away from the boat as possible when you enter the water,
I have been doing it wrong then...I do a very small giant stride since I am coming back to the boat to get my camera. As long as my tank clears the boat I am good (I have seen many that did not...)

I just blew the dust off my PADI manual and discovered there is also a "controlled seated entry" that may be used to enter from a platform that is just a few inches above the water. My manual is silent about backrolls, but does indicate that you will usually use a giant stride to enter the water from a height of several feet.

I have been doing it wrong then...I do a very small giant stride since I am coming back to the boat to get my camera. As long as my tank clears the boat I am good (I have seen many that did not...)

Seriously, don't do that. Have seen blood in the water from someone cracking their head on the way in on the deck. All it takes is one surge or slip. Easy to swim back a kick or two to get your camera (I jump with mine), unless there is ripping current, in which case you are better off holding a line when you jump.

I remember doing giant strides off a dock in Utila. Had to be about 8' to the water. After the first dive, I learned to keep my feet together (guys need to remember this part!) and go in with my head just slightly behind my feet (leaning back) so the concussion of the water on my mask was less than just going straight in. Don't know if leaning back slightly is a good idea jumping from a boat though... Unless you can jump out far enough not to hit your head.

Busselton Jetty would be my highest giant stride entry - easily over 3m depending on the tide and exact entry point.
Logged that one as a "Train dive" as my buddy and I rode the railway out to the dive site (The jetty is 1.8Km long ). Thats roughly where the underwater observatory is now.
Of course the train driver was making jokes to the other tourists as the mad divers geared up and took the leap.
Turned out the entry was the easy part, climbing the ladder in full gear back up to the deck of the jetty was the hard part.
Spectacular dive site though. We go to do it again that evening from a boat as a night dive. That was probably the most 'zen' dive I've ever had. Just drifting between the pilings with zero current and warm clear water...

The boats I dove off of in Koh Tao had a great deal of height to the water (8''-12'). I pulled a groin muscle too, doing stride entry. This was very uncomfortable but not a serious problem until one evening after a night dive, our boat wasn't able to dock for some bizarre reason. We had to crawl and stretch and/or leap from boat to boat. It was personally excruciating and not just because of my pulled muscle but also because everyone was about 15 to 20 years younger than I.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom