Backward roll for high entries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you're correct, see the M/V Fling Fling Charters The Spree was the same boat. They say it's a 5 foot drop, does seem higher than that when you do it.

That is Wookie's own dearly departed MV Spree, may she sail in peace under her new identity! Looking forward to the further adventures of Captains Frank and Mel in the next chapter of their lives...

I told you it seemed like more than 5 feet when you're up there! We did take a giant stride off the deck to get away from the boat, but then entered with feet together, toes up, mask protected. Given the height, we ended up a reasonable distance away from the boat.

The charter boat we used to run here in NS had a drop of maybe 6'. The railing made giant stride not doable. Back roll seemed a bit scary at first, but was like a cool amusement park ride. Don't get anything caught on the boat.....There's a photo of that somewhere on SB. I would still prefer giant stride from that high.

you don't need to actually enter the water with your legs apart

That.
Also consider putting your fins on in the water.

I don't "back roll" as much as I just sit down into the water backwards. I've done this off of the Spree, the Aquacat and even higher. The twenty foot bridge was a tad high, but I didn't get hurt and my gear stayed in place. Heels over the edge and just "sit down", letting gravity do all the work. The tank takes most of the impact and splits the water for you. It's the new E-Ticket ride. I love it.

I don't "back roll" as much as I just sit down into the water backwards. I've done this off of the Spree, the Aquacat and even higher. The twenty foot bridge was a tad high, but I didn't get hurt and my gear stayed in place. Heels over the edge and just "sit down", letting gravity do all the work. The tank takes most of the impact and splits the water for you. It's the new E-Ticket ride. I love it.

This strikes me as a very good way to seriously hurt one's back, ergo I'm baffled.

I do back roll from sitting position on Zodiac (RIB or skiff) to a foot drop, but doing this from a 5'-12' liveaboard deck, you are asking for trouble. From physics point of view, you are creating a body rotation. How would you be sure of not over rotating, where you end up hitting the water on your head with 200+ lbs load? The impact will be almost like falling & hitting your head onto a concrete & breaking your neck or cracking your head. I would be very very scare doing that.

This strikes me as a very good way to seriously hurt one's back, ergo I'm baffled.

The tank will cut through surface tension and the plate will spread the impact over its entire surface so you should be fine. I'd be more worried about whiplashing the back of my head on the 1st stage. Or over-rotating and hitting mask-first which would get water in and wash off my precious plutonium sea drops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom