Backup Computer with different algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the original post was just asking about the pros and cons of using a backup computer with a different algorithm than the primary......and then someone later suggested using gauge mode on the backup....

Then the thread segued from there like they normally do.

I was basically responding to the comment of making a safe ascent and safety stop with NO data..... and still think that would be difficult on a dive with little to no visibility.

In the tropics or any great vis location, then I agree that surfacing safely from an NDL dive with no available data should not be much of a problem.

Actually the original post was just asking about the pros and cons of using a backup computer with a different algorithm than the primary......and then someone later suggested using gauge mode on the backup....
Setting an actual dive computer to gauge mode to serve as a backup makes zero sense. If it’s a computer, use it as such.

You can either manually select gauge mode, which makes no sense, or it can be selected for you. I believe only Apple and Suunto have computers that will go gauge mode in-water. So apart from those, the rest will only lock to gauge mode on the surface.

So, you are starting a repetitive dive after some sort of violation according to the backup. I guess if you are hell bent on doing that dive, having a computer in gauge mode is probably better than nothing. But, that may be the least of your problems.

I think we're all agreed that you should end the dive if your primary computer fails. Knowing your depth and time on a backup comp is valuable data assist for a safe controlled ascent along with a safety stop
We're talking about NDL dives here. If I have a backup computer, why would I end the dive if the primary fails? That puts me in the same boat as nearly all rec divers.

It helps you to get out the water safely.
This not being in the solo/advanced section, I think the assumption would be that there is a buddy. In that case you just surface as a team/pair like you would anyway.

We're talking about NDL dives here. If I have a backup computer, why would I end the dive if the primary fails? That puts me in the same boat as nearly all rec divers.
Exactly. I have to admit I am getting more and more baffled by some of the arguments being made here.

Back
Top Bottom