Backplate profiles -- big tanks and bent plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am in the process of switching from LP85 doubles to LP108 doubles, but I've run into a bit of a snag. With the LP85s, my Halcyon plate will easily accommodate my 10 lb V-weight while still contacting the tanks. With the LP108s, however, the plate sticks out too far and will not rest against the tanks.

Has anyone run into this problem with Halcyon plates and bigger tanks? Should I get a custom v-weight poured, or should I just switch to a flatter plate? Any recommendations for a flatter plate? Thanks

Scott

lundysd:
I am in the process of switching from LP85 doubles to LP108 doubles, but I've run into a bit of a snag. With the LP85s, my Halcyon plate will easily accommodate my 10 lb V-weight while still contacting the tanks. With the LP108s, however, the plate sticks out too far and will not rest against the tanks.

Has anyone run into this problem with Halcyon plates and bigger tanks? Should I get a custom v-weight poured, or should I just switch to a flatter plate? Any recommendations for a flatter plate? Thanks

Scott
Why would even need a 10lb weight for that config?

The OMS LP108 tanks are only -1lb when empty, and the backplate is only 6lbs. When I'm diving a Weezle undergarment that needs mucho loft for warmth, and I hate wearing a weightbelt, the v-weight is a nice alternative.

lundysd:
The OMS LP108 tanks are only -1lb when empty, and the backplate is only 6lbs. When I'm diving a Weezle undergarment that needs mucho loft for warmth, and I hate wearing a weightbelt, the v-weight is a nice alternative.
My 130's are about the same. My double 130's, Alum plate and a tail weight (~5ish lbs) using Weezle Extreme +. No weight belt in fresh water. Maybe a few pounds needed for salt.

lundysd:
add a couple of lbs for bands. a couple lbs for regs. a couple lbs for can light....etc etc

I'm a little bit more buoyant :) (at least until I hit the gym a little harder). I'm also diving in salt water almost exclusively.

lundysd:
I'm a little bit more buoyant :) (at least until I hit the gym a little harder). I'm also diving in salt water almost exclusively.
10lbs more?

I would look at making a tail weight. SS plate, those tanks. Very head heavy. Add a v-weight, you will probably flip over.

YMMV

I appreciate your point of view about the v-weight, but the thread was about how to make it work, not whether or not it was best. I'm planning on trying a tail weight as well, but I would like the option of using the v-weight if needed (even if it's just a weight cut in half).

Are you able to swim full tanks up with no wing and all that lead? I can't believe your lower back is happy with all that weight on your shoulders either. Whatever, you're young and strong for now.

I have not had this issue, but don't use v-weights either. Make you own v-weight if you want to, or buy a flatter AL plate. Dive rites are flatter than Halcyons. They may or may not be the flattest.

whatcha' doing with those sweet 85's :wink:

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom