Backplate compared to Rear Inflate BC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i started with a back inflate, and when i saw my first underwater picture of myself, i knew i was going plate at the earliest opportunity. the bc shoulder straps were several *inches* off my shoulders. this was because as a 'hippy' (ok, chubby) woman, the cummerbund was snuggest high on my waist which gave lots of room to the shoulder straps, which couldn't be tightened any more than they were.

now i have my crotch strap snug and it keeps the belt low on my hips & the shoulder straps where they should be and the tank(s) rock steady.

but if you're happy, you're happy - don't change just to change. it's very much a 'ford/chevy' or 'hatchback/pickup' sort of discussion. what works for you is what you need.

Lee, I dive the Zeagle Ranger and a Dive Rite with Classic Wings. I feel each has it's advantages depending on what type of diving you are doing and suit type. On another note, your welcome to borrow my Dive Rite for your next dive for a "try before you buy."

I have been diving a Zeagle Ranger since 1996.

My question is: What are the pro's and con's of using a backplate (with all the parts) as compared to using a rear inflate bc? (such as the Zeagle Ranger)

In other words, are there advantages of the back plate (scuba unit) arrangement that I don't see. I see its componetized, has a scooter strap, the wings size can be altered, my suspision is it is lighter, etc.

Taking nostalgia out of the equation, why do people go in the direction of the backplate?

ps: I use to think the primary reason was for double tanks.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

:scubahelmet:

Well double tanks are the main reason why one would need a back plate. Even then it is optional. There comes a level of technical diving where the gear load is such that you need a solid base from which to rig.

The weight of the SS plate over the lungs is highly touted. Virtually the same effect can be achieved with any mid range weight integrated BC that has trim weight pockets on the back side With that feature the "weight over the lungs is easily configurable and can usually be from 0-10 pounds even skewed for balance and you don't need to pack it.

A BP&W in and of itself is not the key to being a good diver, being in good trim, bright teeth or hair regrowth.

The keys to any BC of any format are fit and configuration. The fit of a harness is very adjustable and for some divers that is a huge advantage. Within the realm of single tank recreation diving it comes down to what you like. Most of the BP&W breakthrough stories stem from original BCs that just were not right for the diver. Depending on what BC you are comparing to front side clutter reduction is nice. Being able to place your attachment points exactly where you want them is highly desirable. The notion of streamlining is nonsense, diving in trim and with good form are much more significant.

Any form of back inflate BC will not hike you up out of the water like a jacket, this is simple physics. It will get your head comfortably out of the water if configured right.

I'm not slamming the BP&W configuration by any measure. I just wrote a check for one. My wife fell in love with one!

Pete

DSS BP/W in action

I have been diving a Zeagle Ranger since 1996.

My question is: What are the pro's and con's of using a backplate (with all the parts) as compared to using a rear inflate bc? (such as the Zeagle Ranger)

In other words, are there advantages of the back plate (scuba unit) arrangement that I don't see. I see its componetized, has a scooter strap, the wings size can be altered, my suspision is it is lighter, etc.

Taking nostalgia out of the equation, why do people go in the direction of the backplate?

ps: I use to think the primary reason was for double tanks.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

:scubahelmet:

For warm water single tank diving:

My own weighting for warm waters is about 12 U.S. pounds.

With a SS BPW I can split this between the plate and the belt, and get perfect horizontal trim out of this configuration.

The difference from a Zeagle soft harness is not major, however, since you can load up the weight pockets and get your horizontal trim that way, as well.

For cold water single tank diving:

Again, you can load up your Zeagle weight pockets and accomplish almost the same thing. However it works more efficiently to have a SS BPW with weight plates attached to it, such that your weigh belt equals one-half of your total weighting, when the tank is almost empty.

For twin tank tech diving:

Now you have no choice, if you want a stable platform for your twin tanks. I have seen divers using Zeagle soft harnesses for this, but the tanks really wobble around a lot.

My BPs are DSS, and my wings are Oxycheq. You can get both in many of the better tech dive stores.

If you're determined, you can trim out and distribute weight properly in any BC. Some just make it a lot harder than others. The advantage of a BP/W for a cold water diver is that, instead of having to carry ballast to sink your BC, you incorporate some of your ballast INTO your BC. You save 2 or 3 pounds, and move 5 or 6 up onto your back, where it tends to help you be horizontal when swimming.

The biggest thing for me is that the plate keeps the tank absolute stable on your back. If the harness is adjusted properly, you feel as though your equipment and you are one unit, even if you go head down or roll over on your back. I love that; I hated the sloppiness of the tank with my original BC.

Another nice feature of a BP/W setup is that you can change the wing to optimize the setup for the kind of diving you are doing. For example, during my recent trip to Tahiti, I was using a 17 lb wing -- tiny, super streamlined, extremely easy to vent. It's not enough lift at home, but I just put on an LCD 30 wing and that works in cold water. Of course, if I use the same plate in the tropics and in a drysuit, I do have to adjust the harness some, and being lazy, I have now bought separate plates. But you don't HAVE to.

They're very nice to pack, because they come completely apart -- You can take the wing off, and the cambands off, and it helps to pack stuff into a smaller volume.

The disadvantage is that you have to provide a place for your weights and some kind of storage for small items. I use a belt and weight pouches on the cambands, and pockets on my drysuit or X-shorts when I dive wet.

If you're happy with what you have, there's no real reason to change. But using a BP/W setup does have a few nice characteristics.

If you're determined, you can trim out and distribute weight properly in any BC. Some just make it a lot harder than others. The advantage of a BP/W for a cold water diver is that, instead of having to carry ballast to sink your BC, you incorporate some of your ballast INTO your BC. You save 2 or 3 pounds, and move 5 or 6 up onto your back, where it tends to help you be horizontal when swimming.

The biggest thing for me is that the plate keeps the tank absolute stable on your back. If the harness is adjusted properly, you feel as though your equipment and you are one unit, even if you go head down or roll over on your back. I love that; I hated the sloppiness of the tank with my original BC.

Another nice feature of a BP/W setup is that you can change the wing to optimize the setup for the kind of diving you are doing. For example, during my recent trip to Tahiti, I was using a 17 lb wing -- tiny, super streamlined, extremely easy to vent. It's not enough lift at home, but I just put on an LCD 30 wing and that works in cold water. Of course, if I use the same plate in the tropics and in a drysuit, I do have to adjust the harness some, and being lazy, I have now bought separate plates. But you don't HAVE to.

They're very nice to pack, because they come completely apart -- You can take the wing off, and the cambands off, and it helps to pack stuff into a smaller volume.

The disadvantage is that you have to provide a place for your weights and some kind of storage for small items. I use a belt and weight pouches on the cambands, and pockets on my drysuit or X-shorts when I dive wet.

If you're happy with what you have, there's no real reason to change. But using a BP/W setup does have a few nice characteristics.

Plus, to add to what TSM said, you can adjust the straps any way you want with a hogarthian BPW. That is my favorite thing about them.:)

For me == A Scooter!

I was a Back Inflate fan (Balance) and found that I trimmed out very nicely in it and I very much like the integrated weights AND the trim pockets. The system worked very well for me in cold or warm water.

BUT, when I had the opportunity to do some serious scootering, I was forced to go to a BP/W -- and, quite honestly, I've never gone back.

I did not find the characteristics of the BP/W all that different from the Balance -- BUT, here are the things that made me switch (no significant diff from what has been written already):

a. Weight distribution -- as a cold water diver, I got rid of 3+ pounds needed to sink the Balance -- AND using the DSS system, I have 8 additional pounds on the BP itself (when diving a single tank). I use a DUI harness for the rest of my weights.

b. It fits no matter what I'm wearing -- I've gone through 3 different drysuits (full neo; compressed neo; shell) and 2 different wet suits (3 mm and 5mm+2mm vest) -- and the BP harness lets me adjust exactly to what I'm wearing. Unfortunately the adjustment for the Balance is NOT as much and I was forced to compromise a bit.

c. Travel -- because it comes apart so easily, traveling with it is a snap. BP with harness; cam bands; wing -- three separate pieces that pack very easily. If going to warm water, I add a couple of XS Scuba weight pouches on the lap belt.

d. Doubles -- I started diving doubles about 2 years ago (actually not sure why other than we had them and so I thought, why not?) and dive doubles about 1/2 the time now. Being able to quickly switch back and forth is a blessing (well, honestly, now I have two BP/W's and don't switch very often!).

BTW, I use the Balance in the pool when working with a class and the BP/W in open water.

I dive with a Zeagle Tech Pac w/crotch strap and full Zeagle backplate in place of the 2 small metal doubles plates.

This system is a very stable dive platform for the most rigorous of diving. I have never dove it with anything less than a single hp130. But 99% of my diving is in doubles.

I have dove everything from traditional jacket bc's to bp/w units and I have found for my taste the Zeagle Tech Pac to provide a wonderful ride and plenty of options for gear configurations.

There are lots of good brands of bp/w and rear inflate bc's out on the market. Experiment with a few if you can!!

wow this is some great info, so I guess my question is, I am new to diving, and have not purchased my bc yet. should I go with what I am familiar like a jacket(don't like) or the hybrid/back inflate or should I go with BP/W. I know nothing about the latter and don't kno wof anyone around me who dives one to be able to test it out, and learn how to set it up properly. I don't want to get into something that is totally foriegn to me in the BP/W if there is a steep learning curve on setting it up and getting it to fit properly, or whatever. since I know nothing about BP/W except what I have read here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom