Backplate compared to Rear Inflate BC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow this is some great info, so I guess my question is, I am new to diving, and have not purchased my bc yet. should I go with what I am familiar like a jacket(don't like) or the hybrid/back inflate or should I go with BP/W. I know nothing about the latter and don't kno wof anyone around me who dives one to be able to test it out, and learn how to set it up properly. I don't want to get into something that is totally foriegn to me in the BP/W if there is a steep learning curve on setting it up and getting it to fit properly, or whatever. since I know nothing about BP/W except what I have read here.

First, rent a jacket B/C and dive with that for awhile, until you are comfortable.

Then move on to some kind of back inflation, either one of the Zeagle B/Cs or else have someone show you how to rig a hogarthia BPW.

the kraken is in alpharetta and i'm sure would be happy to hook up with you for a few dives & let you dive his plates. shoot him a pm & tell him i said so. :D he mainly dives lake lanier area, i think.

My question is: What are the pro's and con's of using a backplate (with all the parts) as compared to using a rear inflate bc?

Hi Lee Taylor,

Have a look at our Solution Finder under the question 'Is a jacket BC or a harness BC right for me?' This hould give you some ideas about the advantages of the two systems and what might suit you better.

Best,
Ag

Some folks have mentioned the trim pockets that are available on many jacket and rear inflate BCDs. I want to point out that unlike a backplate where the weight is evenly distributed across your whole lung area, the weight in these pockets is concentrated into one (okay ... two if you want to be pedantic) discrete points on your back.

I've tried both systems and much prefer the distributed weight across my back that the bp provides. I personally have felt a distinct difference between having concentrated weight on your back vs distributed weight.

That and the absolute rock solid feeling of my tank never moving (I hated how much it moved around no matter how much I tightened up my jacket BCD) are two advantages that bp/w systems have over rear-inflate BCDs.

If you are wanting to decided which to buy though you the best way is to try out both and give both a good chance (i.e. 5-10 dives on each).

Lee, I dive the Zeagle Ranger and a Dive Rite with Classic Wings. I feel each has it's advantages depending on what type of diving you are doing and suit type. On another note, your welcome to borrow my Dive Rite for your next dive for a "try before you buy."

Thank you Terry,

What is the name of your store? I will look you up.

We are Lowcountry Diving LLC located at 303 Woodbridge Dr Summerville in Sangaree. We are not a Store, the retail we carry is more for our students or friends who use our other services. I lend my gear out to anyone who wants to try it before they buy.

I like my BP/W for several reasons, and I switched to it from a back-inflate BC.

First, I was having some back pain with my soft-pack BC, and the nice rigid BP held my torso in a much straighter line and relieved a lot of the strain I was having.

Second, it puts a lot more weight up on my back, and I can usually go diving without any weight when I'm using a steel plate. The weight is right where it needs to be to counter-act the buoyancy of a tank, or my lungs, and its distributed nicely.

Third, it's a really modular system, and I can play around with it, and add/remove things as I want. The D-Rings are very solid, and I can fine tune where they go. If I want a pocket, I can thread a REAL pocket onto the waist band. I can switch between doubles and singles really easily too.

Lastly, it is just more comfortable. There is less crap cluttering up my body, and I hardly have anything going around my chest at all.

Tom

First, rent a jacket B/C and dive with that for awhile, until you are comfortable.

Then move on to some kind of back inflation, either one of the Zeagle B/Cs or else have someone show you how to rig a hogarthia BPW.

that is what I have done to this point. I dove jackets most of my dives, and then the last 2 dives I dove a hybrid back inflate, but not a true back inflate. I would love to sit down with someone and go over the finer points of BP/W setups. I may give Kraken a pm as suggested to see if he would have time to work with this NOOB!!! you guys/girls are great with info. if I haven't said so before, thank you so much for all you do for the diving community. God Bless us Everyone!

This very well may be the most thank yous I've ever seen in a post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom