BC confusion, and possible reaction to old gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you show up to class with 30 yr old regulators, I would be surprised that the instructor allows you to use them unless you can prove that they have been completely overhauled by an outfit that s/he approves of. I would plan on using the rental gear for the class unless your instructor is extremely accommodating. This is both a safety and liability issue as well as a "marketing/sales" issue. Of course that is a very good regulator, but that may not be the issue.

The regs are fine..., if serviced well. If you have yet to service them, I'd see about upgrading the 109 to a 109 balanced /156. I have 108, 109, 109 Balanced/156, plus S600 and a Deep6. The 156 is as good as the S600, just bigger. The 109 is a bit harder to breath, the 108 even more so. So the 108 and 109 are fine, and may be better than some rental reg. But that is easier to argue if you have proof of service. I'd put the 156 as great, the 109 as fine, the 108 as serviceable.

If you need to rent BCs for class and open water sections, I would just get the DGX BP/W above in steel plate and with the DiveRite 8 lb./side weight pockets plus two 5 lb. DGX trim pockets. There is definitely an argument for taking class before picking your BC. But the steel plate will likely put you in better trim to start, and that will make your learning easier. Steel or AL depends on where you plan to dive. East coast says steel, but warm tropics might be aluminum.

I will do some research re the 109>156 conversion. Can you give me the short version, and exactly how it improves on the 109's performance?

I will do some research re the 109>156 conversion. Can you give me the short version, and exactly how it improves on the 109's performance?
Scubapro Metal 109 vs 156: A Short Report
One is un-balanced (109) one is balanced (156).
Some find no difference, see above thread, but the unbalanced does need more effort to continue the inhale, due to a pressure drop beside the LP seat, due to it now being a moving air stream. I find a noticeable difference in breathing ease, between a 109 and 156 serviced by the same well regarded technician (Frank at AWS) and both adjusted almost to free flow.

In real terms it can be slight. Both 109 and 156 are good regs. But if you as a new student are facing a clueless instructor, it may help you use one of your existing regs.

Another quibble you might face is that under higher workload, they do not maintain as low a work of breathing as say a G250, but you should not be facing a higher workload in early shallow training. And they are still likely better than some rental regs, which face the same work of breathing degradation.

Upgrading R109 to 156

AWS? Pardon my ignorance.....

Another thing to note. After you finish class, it's generally a boon to have well worn gear. When you show up with shiny gear that has no scratches on a boat, you get the "noob" treatment to some degree. When you show up with beat up (but in good working order, not junk) gear, it's taken as an indication that maybe this isn't your first rodeo.

AWS? Pardon my ignorance.....
AWS - AnyWaterSports. Sorry, I should not have abbreviated that. A very good shop in the Bay area. Frank was the owner and now still does service work. Not as relevant, beyond that my opinion between 109 and 156 is between well serviced and tuned regs that I've used as primary and secondary regs, both adjusted to near free flow, on my dives. I very quickly cycled my 108 out of my reg rotation, then my 109.

This is what I have. Cheap, quite light and comfortable with the aluminum plate, and it was pretty easy to alter the harness to add more d rings and let the over arm and waist sections of the harness be fairly adjustable. Dive Gear Express has a lot of hardware that you can get for really cheap, too, and they ship fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom