Build a travel backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In another discussion I noted that for about a decade now we traveled with a SS plate but have given up on that and now have a lightweight Express Tech Backplate from Zeagle. Much easier to pack and saves 10 pounds as we are 2X. Just add a couple of trim weight pockets to make the difference.

I’m a little confused. Why take a stainless steel BP, cut a bunch of holes in it to make it weigh less and market it as a travel backplate? Why not just buy aluminum if you want lighter? I’m honestly perplexed by this.
1) Stainless is more dense than aluminum, so is more negatively buoyant in the water for the same dry weight, 2) stainless won't oxidize like aluminum if the anodizing gets scratched off, 3) with all the cut outs, it looks more cool than a solid aluminum backplate

I just added a small wing to a commercial diving harness. It’s light weight and flexible for travel.

Since I’ve given up on my double hose regulator experiment in this potentially endless Indonesia trip I’ve found my DH backplate from Vintage Double Hose works great with my standard reg set. It is flat and small and light and adds virtually zero volume to packed bags.

There's always Carbon Fiber!
IMG_1778.jpg

One of my kids dives one. The other an Oxycheq soft plate.
IMG_20191101_175317.jpg

I've only traveled once but I put my bow, regs, computers, mask boots with fins bungie on the outside in my carry on. A little heavy and I guarantee it will get searched but worked and if my luggage got lost I could still dive my config and just run out for underwear.

Back
Top Bottom