backplate bc advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuttytoe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm trying to simplify my BC and i've decided to go with a backplate BC. However, i don't know which one to choose from. I'm currently looking at the Zeagle and Diverite. Suggestions anyone? or any other manufacturer?

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

I would seriously consider a donut shaped wing. Oxycheq and Halcyon.

I would look into an Oxycheq Signature wing. There are a variety of backplates for it. FredT a member on this board makes them. Oxycheq has very nice ones.

I would avoid the zeagle. It's not great as far as being a BP&W.

I have the DiveRite SS plate and the Oxycheq Signature 45 wing.

OE2X:
I would avoid the zeagle. It's not great as far as being a BP&W.

Would you care to elaborate on that statement? I am sincerely interested in your (and others) opinions, and would hope that you have reasons to back up your statement. As a moderator, I think telling people to "avoid" a product is a pretty strong statement without elaborating.

I have heard the argument that we don't make a wing that some would prefer (which we are seriously looking into to), but can you tell me what is "not that great" about our BP compared to others??

Zeagle has always been a company that valued the input of the people who actually USE the products, so anyone should feel free to post or PM me with ideas for improvement to our lines.

Scott

Dive Rite gets my vote.

With doubles it's a Stainless backplate with a 55lb. Classic.

With a single tank it's a plastic backplate with a 35 lbs wing.

Excellent quite. Check out Scuba Toys and Dive Rite Expresss.

Fred T's make an excellent plate as well.

nuttytoe:
I'm trying to simplify my BC and i've decided to go with a backplate BC. However, i don't know which one to choose from. I'm currently looking at the Zeagle and Diverite. Suggestions anyone? or any other manufacturer?

I would give a serious look at Deep Sea Supply ... I own several backplates, and theirs is the one I like the best.

http://www.deepseasupply.com/

Specifically, there are differences in how plates are shaped, detailed, and finished. The DSS plate is relatively flat compared to others I've tried, which tends to hold the cylinder in very close to your body. One unique feature is the rubber grommets in the strap slots that prevent wear on your harness ... With other plates I'll get about 150 to 200 dives on a harness before I have to replace it. With my current DSS plate I've got about 75 dives on my harness, and there is no sign of wear at all. Also, if you want a heavier plate, DSS has a really slick approach to adding plate weights that essentially integrates them into the plate (they just screw into existing holes on the back of the plate to provide additional weight).

They also make a very nice singles wing with 30-lbs of lift that I found to be superior in performance to the DiveRite Venture wing I used to own. One of the biggest advantages to this wing is that it doesn't require a single-tank adapter ... or to be more specific, it's designed in such a way that it holds the cylinder to the plate quite rigidly without needing any additional hardware. I'm personally a big fan of Oxycheq wings, and own four of them. But when I tried the DSS wing I was surprised by how well it performed. It's worth looking at.

BTW - Tobin George (CoolHardware52) is a member of this board. I recommend you contact him with any questions about his products ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ScottZeagle:
Would you care to elaborate on that statement? I am sincerely interested in your (and others) opinions, and would hope that you have reasons to back up your statement. As a moderator, I think telling people to "avoid" a product is a pretty strong statement without elaborating.

I have heard the argument that we don't make a wing that some would prefer (which we are seriously looking into to), but can you tell me what is "not that great" about our BP compared to others??

Zeagle has always been a company that valued the input of the people who actually USE the products, so anyone should feel free to post or PM me with ideas for improvement to our lines.

Scott

Scott,

I didn't make the comment, but I'll chime in anyway...

Backplates - Zeagle's are comparable to the others. There are variations (# of holes, location of holes, bend patterns, etc.) and a diver should choose the options that most appeal to them. The only thing about the Zeagle plates that I question is the titanium...seems like a solution in search of a problem to me, but that's just my opinion.

Wings - Your wings seem to be designed for use with the Ranger-type jackets rather than a backplate and I would question the durability of them (i.e. a strap connection for the center of the cell vs. continuous nylon fabric. It sounds like you're working on that, I look forward to seeing the results.

FWIW, I have DiveRite SS plate, the Koplin travel plate (the dog-bone one) Halcyon and DiveRite wings.

trob09:
Scott,

I didn't make the comment, but I'll chime in anyway...

Backplates - Zeagle's are comparable to the others. There are variations (# of holes, location of holes, bend patterns, etc.) and a diver should choose the options that most appeal to them. The only thing about the Zeagle plates that I question is the titanium...seems like a solution in search of a problem to me, but that's just my opinion.

Wings - Your wings seem to be designed for use with the Ranger-type jackets rather than a backplate and I would question the durability of them (i.e. a strap connection for the center of the cell vs. continuous nylon fabric. It sounds like you're working on that, I look forward to seeing the results.

FWIW, I have DiveRite SS plate, the Koplin travel plate (the dog-bone one) Halcyon and DiveRite wings.

As for the SS Backplates, I was kind of under the same impression - most of them are very similar. We looked at the most popular BP's on the market and used those as a starting point when we designed ours. I thought we incorporated all the good things and possibly added a few improvements - but maybe I am wrong!!! :06:

The titanium backplate is just offered in case anyone wants it. We do not "push" it, we simply keep a few in stock. I honestly didn't think we would sell ANY, but I have been suprised by the number of people who wanted them. :wink:

I know quite a few people who have matched up our BP with their exsisting Ranger bladders and like the system just fine, but I don't think they are ScubaBoard members so their opinions are not heard here, of course.

I will keep you guys posted as we look at new bladders for the BP systems - we have recieved some very good input, and welcome more!!

Thanks,

Scott

Back
Top Bottom