backplate bc advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hop Devil:
I also think people make a huge issue out of frayed webbing. Lets get realistic, it costs about 8-10 dollars to replace your webbing every hundred dives.

If you're using a TransPlate harness ... or one of the similar multipiece harnesses made by another manufacturer ... a replacement will cost you more than $100 ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
If you're using a TransPlate harness ... or one of the similar multipiece harnesses made by another manufacturer ... a replacement will cost you more than $100 ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

but have you considered poodle jacket and air2 ???

cancun mark:
but have you considered poodle jacket and air2 ???

No ... but I did go through a couple of TransPlate harnesses (in less than a year) before switching over to a Hogarthian harness on my Dive Rite SS plate. My Dive Rite AL plate still has a TransPlate harness ... but I only use it for pool work and warm-water diving, so I expect it'll last a while.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dive a continious piece of webbing and replace it periodically. I see it as no big deal.
I do agree with you 100% however if you prefer a set up like the transpack its not something you would want to replace, at $100. a pop. Thats why I use free bike tubes!
I guess I'm just cheap, and would rather buys beers after diving than more gear!
Dive safe!

Hop Devil:
I would suggest you check out the Hammerhead backplates. I think they are a tremendous value. www.hammerheadscuba.com
I also think people make a huge issue out of frayed webbing. Lets get realistic, it costs about 8-10 dollars to replace your webbing every hundred dives. I just consider that standard safety and I replace anything that is worn out. The cost of replacing all of your webbing on a backplate equates to about three beers after diving.
People like to use it as some kind of big marketing spiel and it really isn't.
I like Dive Rite and Qxycheq wings. I had a Halycon and sold it.
Try diffent rigs and see what you like, have fun!

Why did you sell your Halcyon? I too am trying to decide on a BP/W and narrowed it down to the Dive Rite or Halcyon.

I have Dive Rite plates, Halcyon Plates, FredT Plates, and AUL plates. None of them have EVER cut a harness of mine. I'm still using the same harness strap on all of them.

But then again, Mine have a LineX coating on them....LOL.... Don't need keepers either......LOL....

For Wings. Halcyon or OMS without Bunjee or Oxycheq. All good wings.... Have a Dive Rite Trek. But don't like the bunjee's.... It is a good wing though...

Mverick:
I have Dive Rite plates, Halcyon Plates, FredT Plates, and AUL plates. None of them have EVER cut a harness of mine. I'm still using the same harness strap on all of them.

But then again, Mine have a LineX coating on them....LOL.... Don't need keepers either......LOL....

For Wings. Halcyon or OMS without Bunjee or Oxycheq. All good wings.... Have a Dive Rite Trek. But don't like the bunjee's.... It is a good wing though...
Linex, huh? I never thought of that, it's a great idea.

Quarrior:
Linex, huh? I never thought of that, it's a great idea.

Yes, it is.... This is the same product as Linex. It costs only $5.

Amsoil HD Metal ProtectorA heavy duty spray lubricant fortified with special rust and corrosion inhibitors. Penetrates and adheres to metal surfaces, leaving a long lasting protective coating. Apply MPHD to any metal surface that requires a heavy duty lubricant or is exposed to the damaging effects of salt, moisture or chemical erosion. Works as an undercoat, leaving a wax-like film. Recommended for motorcycle chains. Won't "sling" off. Dry to the touch. Doesn't attract dust. It is ideal for hinges, wire ropes and springs, nuts and bolts, motorcycle or bicycle chains, and for undercoating car doors, wheelwells, rocker panels, seams and other metal surfaces exposed to water, dirt or road salt.

LineX like as in the bed of my pickup truck? No way, heavy, rough and expensive. I do have LineX in my PU bed and it's bumpers. Good stuff but for a backplate? N

Nemrod:
LineX like as in the bed of my pickup truck? No way, heavy, rough and expensive. I do have LineX in my PU bed and it's bumpers. Good stuff but for a backplate? N

Cost was around $8-12 US a plate. So, nope. Not expensive.

Heavy? It's encapsulated. Maybe added .5lb... So nope again. They can spray on any thickness.

Rough. Yep. When I put my tank on my back. It doesn't slide around at all. Gives it a little texture to hold onto your drysuit or wetsuit. AND, they can spray it smooth if you want. Almost as smooth as a paint job. Just nobody wants it that way in a truck bed.

Guaranteed for life. He said any problems bring em back. He'd hit em again. It doesn't take much material. They just do it when they're doing a truck bed.

Also, it doesn't get cold. It's kinda insulated. It can get hot. From sitting in the sun since it's black. But once it's wet. It's not hot. And I use it in a T-shirt and shorts. Even bare back. The straps will rub you worse then the backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom