backplate bc advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagle:
I know quite a few people who have matched up our BP with their exsisting Ranger bladders and like the system just fine, but I don't think they are ScubaBoard members so their opinions are not heard here, of course.

Actually, if you search ScubaBoard with "Ranger backplate", you get a few posts of people who have mated a Ranger with a backplate, Zeagle and non-Zeagle brand. Here's a post: Using Ranger wings with a back plate

Since I have a unused Ranger, I may take the bladder and match it up to one of my backplates. If I do, I'll report back to the group. But since I thought that the Ranger wing worked quite well (though a little bulky for single tank diving), I can't forsee any issues. Just have to figure out how to mount it correctly.

ae3753:
snip snip...Just have to figure out how to mount it correctly.

this is related to my point. there's not much 'figuring out' wings _designed_ for back-plate use. If you need time to figure out a diverite/halcyon/oxycheq/etc. wing, you shouldn't be near water unsupervised. the fact that Zeagle wings need some thought to use with a backplate should indicate they aren't optimally designed for that use. As I say, I look forward to seeing the evolution.

Separately Scott, your plates are fine, your regs are top-notch. I wonder how many people who have one of those titanium plates also have weight pockets...

Tim

The Zeagle Ranger wing definitely doesn't mount the same as other wings. However, when I state "figure out" that's not to say that it's difficult or inefficient. I honestly haven't looked. And since the Ranger is at my LDS on consignment, I don't 100% how it mounts, so that's the "figure out" comment.

Btw, for my bp/w set-up, I dive Hammerhead with a Dive Rite wing. And it works well for me. Since I had a wing already, picking up the Hammerhead plate was a inexpensive and easy way to get a backplate. Plus, Ed's customer service is great.

If I were to buy a complete set-up, I would look at the Deep Sea Supply backplate set-up as well. I find it annoying that most bps wear out the harness. Sure, it's easy and cheap to replace the simple harness (or debur the bp), but it annoys me still.

ae3753:
Sure, it's easy and cheap to replace the simple harness (or debur the bp), but it annoys me still.

FWIW - deburring the harness slots in a plate will reduce harness wear, but only to a point. I have a FredT plate that he deburred, and it's a top-quality piece of gear. However, even with that plate after about 100 dives there was very noticeable wear in the harness. My friends with Halcyon plates also show comparable signs of harness wear in their plates.

My Dive Rite and Oxycheq plates chew through harnesses pretty quickly ... I deburred the former, and the latter came deburred. But metal on nylon still produces fraying.

The DIY "solution" is to use inner tubing on the nylon where it feeds through the BP. The DSS solution is far more elegant ... and durable.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would suggest you check out the Hammerhead backplates. I think they are a tremendous value. www.hammerheadscuba.com
I also think people make a huge issue out of frayed webbing. Lets get realistic, it costs about 8-10 dollars to replace your webbing every hundred dives. I just consider that standard safety and I replace anything that is worn out. The cost of replacing all of your webbing on a backplate equates to about three beers after diving.
People like to use it as some kind of big marketing spiel and it really isn't.
I like Dive Rite and Qxycheq wings. I had a Halycon and sold it.
Try diffent rigs and see what you like, have fun!

ScottZeagle, do you make just a wing that I can put on MY backplate? I will be looking at wings to replace my old unit but I like my new BP. The other thing, black is good but howabout old time scuba yellow, royal blue, safety orange. No, not the current fashion trend neon chartruse and hot radioactive pink but something other than black. I notice DiveRite has basic colors in a few of their wings and that the OMS is available in at least orange. Not everyone is from New York or is DIR. N

Made my BP after a copy of a Zeagle (Added some superior modifications in order to avoid any patent infringement) and attached the wing from my Zeagle "Tech". Works just fine.

Jim Baldwin:
Dive Rite gets my vote.

With doubles it's a Stainless backplate with a 55lb. Classic.

With a single tank it's a plastic backplate with a 35 lbs wing.

Excellent quite. Check out Scuba Toys and Dive Rite Expresss.

Fred T's make an excellent plate as well.

I use the SS BP and (59lb) Classic Wing. Northeast Scuba Supply usually offers a great deal on the Dive Rite package. $329 as a I recall for SS BP, your choice of harness, Classic wing, and weight pouches.

I have not used other brands for BP/W's so I can't compare on that basis.

--Matt

I have an aluminum Dive Rite bp and love it. However, I just purchased a Hammerhead SS backplate and it is my favorite. Might want to give them a good looking at (www.hammerheadscuba.com). As for wings, you might want to check out Oxycheq's doughnut wings.....very well made. Also, take a look at Halcyon's wings (like the eclipse). I hope this helps.

I enjoy and love my setup:

DiveRite Aluminum BP
DiveRite RecWing
DiveRite TransPlate

Back
Top Bottom