Moving air sound in wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
I just got my first BP/W a Paragon from Subgravity with a SS backplate. I tried it yesterday in my pool and noticed a few things:
1. When rotating from side to side I could hear the air moving to whatever side was upward. Is that normal? I didn't hear nearly the same amount of noise of air moving with my old jacket style bc
2. I used to use 10lb of weight, but today sank pretty fast with just the backplate which weighs 6lb. Is this because the jacket bc have more buoyancy from the padding? Or maybe the BPW is heavier with the D rings?
3. I was really feet heavy. Any suggestions on how to adjust the backplate and harness so I'll be more vertical?
4. If I'm not doing a primary reg donate with my backup on a necklace, where is a good place to clip my octo? Do people use the right shoulder D ring?
Thanks!

Hi,
I just got my first BP/W a Paragon from Subgravity with a SS backplate. I tried it yesterday in my pool and noticed a few things:
1. When rotating from side to side I could hear the air moving to whatever side was upward. Is that normal? I didn't hear nearly the same amount of noise of air moving with my old jacket style bc
2. I used to use 10lb of weight, but today sank pretty fast with just the backplate which weighs 6lb. Is this because the jacket bc have more buoyancy from the padding? Or maybe the BPW is heavier with the D rings?
3. I was really feet heavy. Any suggestions on how to adjust the backplate and harness so I'll be more vertical?
4. If I'm not doing a primary reg donate with my backup on a necklace, where is a good place to clip my octo? Do people use the right shoulder D ring?
Thanks!
1. Yep, normal
2. It makes sense that the jacket would be more buoyant
3. The backplate should be fitted so you can reach your valve(s). Trim has more to do with technique than equipment. In general a BP/W should be more stable in trim than the jacket, but it might take you some time to get used to it. You might even be too top-heavy and counteracting it by dropping the knees. Maybe take a class or a dive with a good instructor?
4. I would advise going for the long hose, it's a very nice feeling to always have a backup regulator easily accessible under your chin. However, if you clip it to the d-ring, make sure it can be pulled free if needed with some sort of breakaway system.

Hi,
Thanks!

1. Yes, very normal and expected. That's because your jacket BC isn't designed for the air to move around as easily plus the air cell is shaped entirely differently. This is one of the multiple benefits of a BP/W.
2. Yup. With all of the extra floaty material, a BC is more buoyant that a BP/W. All of that extra material takes weight to sink. That weight can now be removed thus you won't need as much lead.
3. Arch your back and pin your head back against the first stage. Also removing the extra weight discussed in #2 will help. Also you may need lighter fins. Fins vary greatly in terms of how negatively buoyant they are. Lastly, you may need to play with weight distribution.
4. Yes, people use the right chest d-ring to hold the octo keeper. Strange thing is, although it's not that strange, a pretty significant majority of BP/W divers also dive long-host primary donate with bungeed alternate. The two go hand in hand so nicely.

Hi,
Thanks!
As others said, Item 1 is normal.
2 and 3 kind of go together... I'm guessing you aren't using a wetsuit? I dive a 3mm in freshwater with an aluminum plate, and can get away with no lead. Without the wet suit, that leaves me over weighted. If you are suit-less, you might try wearing a shorty for the buoyancy. Not having any lead limits your options for trimming out to moving the tank higher or lower in the harness, weight of fins, or intentionally overweighting just to have ballast where you need it. I trim out best with 2 lb on the upper cam band... I'll take that bit of excess weight without concern. But when I go somewhere that's warm freshwater, I wear the shorty so I won't be more overweighed than I'm happy with. An aluminum plate would also help (if you were in the thermal protection you ordinarily dive in... if you were in swim trunks and normally dive a wetsuit, then putting the suit on will probably be plenty to let you put a few pounds on the upper cam band.).
Others answered 4.

Respectfully,

James

The plate alone is probably enough for the pool, and removing lead from the waist pockets may shift the center of mass higher (less foot heavy). In general, find the right total amount of weight first, and then distribute it as needed for trim.

Reactions: dnh
Other people are commenting that hearing air shift in your wing is normal, but that's not my experience. The only time I've ever heard noise is when I was trying a seriously oversized wing just to see what would happen. It gurgled like crazy. When diving a correctly sized wing, I've never heard any air-shifting noise.

I hope you mean horizontal.

You'll hear water moving around in the wing if it is present.

Other people are commenting that hearing air shift in your wing is normal, but that's not my experience. The only time I've ever heard noise is when I was trying a seriously oversized wing just to see what would happen. It gurgled like crazy. When diving a correctly sized wing, I've never heard any air-shifting noise.

I don't hear air shifting unless there's water in the wing.

I don't know if it's water or air, I honestly never gave it a second thought, but with all 3 of my wings (Light Monkey, Halcyon, DGX) I definitely can hear movement when I roll right or left. My wings are definitely not oversized. Perfectly sized 28-30# wings for the HP100/AL80 single tanks that I dive. I'm almost certain it's not water because I notice it even on the first dive of the day right off the bat. Also, I rarely get much water in my wings in general. YMMV. Regardless, it's something I hardly notice anymore. As with all sounds, once you've grown accustomed to it, you get to a point where your brain doesn't even notice it any longer.

Back
Top Bottom