Backpack style duffel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been looking at the duffle as well. Seems like a solid size for a set of scuba gear.

If you are looking to use it for things outside of scuba gear and the ocassional trip, I say don't go any larger than the L size at 95L if that is an acceptable size for you. When you pack that thing full of stuff, you are often times just at the weight limit for flights or slightly over. It's also easier to carry the pack when it is fuller rather than when it is emptier. :) There are cinch downs, but still.

Looking to get myself a backpack style duffel bag, current contenders are the Fourth Element Expedition Duffel 120L and the Mares Cruise X strap bag. Anyone got any experience or alternative suggestions? Main requirements is that it has to be pretty large (100L give or take) and able to be converted into a backpack. Waterproofing isn't a concern for me but also open to the idea of it being a suitcase style roller bag similar to the Mares Cruise.

Thanks and the best answer gets a pint.
Your post does not make it obvious whether your bag needs to be suitable for checked baggage with an airline, or just for transport between home and dive sites or boats. That makes a big difference.

Regardless, here are a couple of Aqualung options:
81 liters mesh backpack/duffel
Traveler 250: Mesh Backpack | Scuba Diving Travel Bag | Aqua Lung

Military Duffel, no size specs available, but it is big. Probably at least 100 liter.
Military Spec Duffel

Apeks Dry Bag, 113 liter capacity
DRY100L Single Core with Drain Dump

Your post does not make it obvious whether your bag needs to be suitable for checked baggage with an airline, or just for transport between home and dive sites or boats. That makes a big difference.

Regardless, here are a couple of Aqualung options:
81 liters mesh backpack/duffel
Traveler 250: Mesh Backpack | Scuba Diving Travel Bag | Aqua Lung

Military Duffel, no size specs available, but it is big. Probably at least 100 liter.
Military Spec Duffel

Apeks Dry Bag, 113 liter capacity
DRY100L Single Core with Drain Dump

Might have missed that out, anyways, it has to be able to be checked in an airline but no necessarily needed to fit in the overhead compartment. Cheers

+1 on North Face duffle. Have used mine for travelling with dive gear for 8 plus years. Hose it out at the end of each trip. Have no idea how big it is but I get all my gear but tanks in it plus when I need to put everything in one bag I stuff a pelican case with camera gear into it. Weighs almost nothing.

Anything 60 to 70 liter should do it if you pack like a Swiss watch. Sometimes, the 60 liter can pass for carry on.

Anything 60 to 70 liter should do it if you pack like a Swiss watch. Sometimes, the 60 liter can pass for carry on.

yeah nah, i'm a chuck everything inside and realise i'm bringing too much gear and refuse to take a million bolt snaps out just incase i need them hahah!

yeah nah, i'm a chuck everything inside and realise i'm bringing too much gear and refuse to take a million bolt snaps out just incase i need them hahah!

Holy crap, that's exactly how I packed for my trip on Friday. I think I have six or seven boltsnaps in my bag.

That was eary, man.

Great people think alike. We need a need them bolty snappies!

I even wrapped the shanks in red cave line cause that makes them look extra sexy.

I’ll follow this thread as well! Need something to put all that gear...

Back
Top Bottom