Backpack style duffel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STIDVC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to get myself a backpack style duffel bag, current contenders are the Fourth Element Expedition Duffel 120L and the Mares Cruise X strap bag. Anyone got any experience or alternative suggestions? Main requirements is that it has to be pretty large (100L give or take) and able to be converted into a backpack. Waterproofing isn't a concern for me but also open to the idea of it being a suitcase style roller bag similar to the Mares Cruise.

Thanks and the best answer gets a pint.

I have the Mares Cruise X strap. Good bag for single tank diving and those that like to streamline their gear. Looks like you’re a technical diver....this bag probably won’t provide adequate space. The only drawback of the X Strap bag is the shoulder straps are a little long and this make the chest strap pretty worthless. So the bag, even when fully loaded, tends to droop a little versus riding smartly on one’s back. Once all your gear is out, the bag collapses nicely for stowage on a small boat.

The Mares Cruise Backpack is my bag for technical diving and travel. It has been across the Atlantic and through European airports several times, dragged mercilessly up and down my villa stairs at least 175 times, heaved into the back of a SUV with bare twin tank bolts poking up, gone for weeks with salt stains around the zippers....in short, there isn’t any abuse left that I haven’t dished out to this bag. The back unzips and out pop the shoulder straps for carrying it properly up and down stairs. The dedicated fin pockets on the side are long and large enough to fit one’s rock boots preserving internal space for your oversized reg bag and other technical kit. It’s a structured bag but not overly structured. It’s fine on a liveaboard where one can stow the bag on the sundeck but it’s a little too big to keep in a berth-only cabin and on a small boat (like a 6-10 diver boat) since it doesn’t collapse down much.

Great bag, IMO. When this one blows up, I’ll get another.

I have the Mares Cruise X strap. Good bag for single tank diving and those that like to streamline their gear. Looks like you’re a technical diver....this bag probably won’t provide adequate space. The only drawback of the X Strap bag is the shoulder straps are a little long and this make the chest strap pretty worthless. So the bag, even when fully loaded, tends to droop a little versus riding smartly on one’s back. Once all your gear is out, the bag collapses nicely for stowage on a small boat.

The Mares Cruise Backpack is my bag for technical diving and travel. It has been across the Atlantic and through European airports several times, dragged mercilessly up and down my villa stairs at least 175 times, heaved into the back of a SUV with bare twin tank bolts poking up, gone for weeks with salt stains around the zippers....in short, there isn’t any abuse left that I haven’t dished out to this bag. The back unzips and out pop the shoulder straps for carrying it properly up and down stairs. The dedicated fin pockets on the side are long and large enough to fit one’s rock boots preserving internal space for your oversized reg bag and other technical kit. It’s a structured bag but not overly structured. It’s fine on a liveaboard where one can stow the bag on the sundeck but it’s a little too big to keep in a berth-only cabin and on a small boat (like a 6-10 diver boat) since it doesn’t collapse down much.

Great bag, IMO. When this one blows up, I’ll get another.

I have a trolley as my main bag so the backpack is a compliment to it. I've eyed the Cruise Backpack in the past, would it be possible to chuck it in an overhead compartment in an airplane?

Patagonia Black Hole. I don't know anyone who doesn't love theirs.

I love my black hole duffel. I just bought an osprey transporter and their goo, too.

Practical AND wicked cool looking

I have a trolley as my main bag so the backpack is a compliment to it. I've eyed the Cruise Backpack in the past, would it be possible to chuck it in an overhead compartment in an airplane?

The Cruise Backpack is definitely not a carry on bag. Even the Mares Cruise X-Strap will be too big as a carry on.

If you’ve already got a trolley bag, then I think your options are unlimited if you’re look for a complementary backpack style dive bag.

Osprey makes great kit.

The
The Cruise Backpack is definitely not a carry on bag. Even the Mares Cruise X-Strap will be too big as a carry on.

If you’ve already got a trolley bag, then I think your options are unlimited if you’re look for a complementary backpack style dive bag.

Osprey makes great kit.
Cruise Backpack is 1.5kgs as compared to 5Kgs on the Pro. Im guessing the non pro version would suit me very well, but the Pro is definitely tempting.

I love my black hole duffel. I just bought an osprey transporter and their goo, too.

Practical AND wicked cool looking
The osprey looks cool indeed!

2nd Patagonia Black Hole. Also, The North Face Base Camp Duffels. I actually prefer the latter. I own both but I have way more of the latter. I think we have something like 10-12 of various sizes between Mr. OOO and I. Bombproof, expedition grade..... It comes in a lot if sizes. Large is 95L and XL is 132L. They also make an XXL if you need more space.

2nd Patagonia Black Hole. Also, The North Face Base Camp Duffels. I actually prefer the latter. I own both but I have way more of the latter. I think we have something like 10-12 of various sizes between Mr. OOO and I. Bombproof, expedition grade..... It comes in a lot if sizes. Large is 95L and XL is 132L. They also make an XXL if you need more space.
I’ve been looking at the duffle as well. Seems like a solid size for a set of scuba gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom