Back kicking with Apollo Biofins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divechk

Reaction score
I've read mixed things about these fins and back kicking. Some say it can't be done, some say it can be generally done, and some say that it can be done but rather hard. Can it be consistantly done? I'm thinking of trying out these fins, and am wondering if it is worth it. I read these fins are good for cramps.

Thoughts?

I've read mixed things about these fins and back kicking. Some say it can't be done, some say it can be generally done, and some say that it can be done but rather hard. Can it be consistantly done? I'm thinking of trying out these fins, and am wondering if it is worth it. I read these fins are good for cramps.

Thoughts?

divechk: For back kicking, helicopter turns, frog kicks, the Bio-fin XT model could be a good choice: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Split Fins: Overview

Why not use a fin design that is known to work well with alternate kicks than rely on marketing hype? I'm not trying to be snide, I'm just asking why not let the data compiled by thousands of divers and millions of dives do the talking?

People keep telling me that you cant back fin with splits. I have original biofins. Apparently no one told my fins they cant be used for backfinning, cause they work great for it. and helicoptering, and any other fin skill i have ever tried. I guess its like the bumblebee, which were not supposed to be able to fly according to accepted physical principles, until someone finally proved that they could indeed fly. of course, none of this actually affected the bumblebee, which buzzed around in blissful ignorance. good thing they never took physics....

I guess its like the bumblebee, which were not supposed to be able to fly according to accepted physical principles

Nonsense. That story is extremely misunderstood.

Anyway, yes: you can back kick in floppy fins, but it's more efficient with stiff fins.

I guess its like the bumblebee, which were not supposed to be able to fly according to accepted physical principles, until someone finally proved that they could indeed fly. of course, none of this actually affected the bumblebee, which buzzed around in blissful ignorance. good thing they never took physics....

Actually that's a myth. There's much debate about the origin of the myth. But it just aint true. And no-one ever "proved "that they could fly! :no:

Couple of months ago,I had some dir divers come up to me,.
They had been watching me duiring the dive,I was backicking,frogkicking and doing heloturns.
I was just waiting for a couple of AOW students to return from their Nav. tour.
So I had to wait and was a bit borred,so did some skills':D

They asked HOW I did it.They where told it was not possible.:confused:
:rofl3:

I can back kick on the bio-fins, but it is definitely not as easy as with my ScubaPros. That said, if you are mainly going to be flutter kicking, get the Apollos. If you are mainly going to be frogkicking, get paddle fins.

Right tools for the right job. Sure, you could get a screw into the hole with a hammer, but there are better ways...

Cramping is a sign of poor fitness (overuse). Or poor technique (skill). Or lack of enough energy or nutrients (breakfast and/or potassium among other electrolytes).

You can try and fix cramping with different gear but in the long haul the underlying issue will remain. Trying getting a decent meal, some feedback on technique via instruction with video, and add some calf exercises to build up this potential weak area.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom