Back inflate or wrap around BCD??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This being SB, YOUR GONNA DIE if it's not a BP&W, of course, but that only happens if you dive in SB..
But what if I have my Shearwater dive computer with bungee straps and Jet Fins with spring straps, shouldn't that be enough to save me from dying ?

Two words: Shore dive.

I think I wore a snorkel on almost every shore dive I did to date. To swim out to where the reef starts without wasting tank air.

I think my wing doesn't push my face quite as high up as a jacket would, but yes: lying on top of it face-up does lift your face higher than floating vertical. I guess yours must be fatter than mine. Wing size contest anyone?

As mentioned by USMC CPL, why not consider a BP&W ? There are quite a few advantages with this setup.

It is easier to get into trim, once you have the harness dialed in it will fit you perfectly, and it is modular so you can swap out wings depending on how much lift you need or if you plan on diving doubles in the future.

More and more newly certified divers are moving directly to a BP&W so it's not just for advanced or technical divers. The only major thing is to see if you find it comfortable diving with a backplate, so it's best to try before you buy.

I am in the process of working the kinks out of my setup but it was so nice being able to move around and not have the tank flopping around or the jacket riding up. The rig stayed where it was supposed to even with what I thought were extremely loose harness strap.

I started diving using a back inflate, but over the winter purchased an Aqualung Axiom i3 a... *le gasp* jacket style and I LOVE it! No squeeze and quite easy to get trim and neutral in. I guess it is mainly personal preference when it comes to a BC.

I'm pretty sure every one of them comes with this is not a life-saving device printed in bold on page one of the manual. (You can, however, dive with a tank backpack and a horse collar BCD which is a life-saving device. :wink:
Nah, actually there's at least the scubapro master jacket :p

I'd say BPW, but then again, sidemount is another viable answer...

They're all safe, it's a matter of preference.

There's the issue that you might need things that are not just "back inflate or wrap around", eg places to stow gear properly, inflator corrugated hoses of a bit less than the usual 20km they put on bcds, etc etc.

I am in the process of working the kinks out of my setup but it was so nice being able to move around and not have the tank flopping around or the jacket riding up. The rig stayed where it was supposed to even with what I thought were extremely loose harness strap.

That's key.

Lot's of folks in the beginning have the shoulder straps on way too tight which inhibits mobility. Ideally you should have a relaxed tension so that you can reach over from your right arm and touch your left D-ring and vice versa, as well as be able to reach back and manipulate your valves if needed. As long as your waist and crotch strap are snug and keep your tank from rolling up the back, your shoulder straps can be looser.

That's key.

Lot's of folks in the beginning have the shoulder straps on way too tight which inhibits mobility. Ideally you should have a relaxed tension so that you can reach over from your right arm and touch your left D-ring and vice versa, as well as be able to reach back and manipulate your valves if needed. As long as your waist and crotch strap are snug and keep your tank from rolling up the back, your shoulder straps can be looser.

I am going to try to snug the shoulder straps up just a hair and then I think I will be happy with it. Then have to redo my weight but that shouldn't be to bad. Cannot imagine using a jacket again after seeing the freedom of a bp/w. Even donning and doffing were so much easier.

I will add to the voice of others, that there is no best, it really boils down to your preferences. I have dived a BP/W exclusively for the last 4 years (my wife longer still) and do love it. However recently on my DM course I chose to use a normal BCD (easier to learn how to demonstrate skills)

Buoyancy and trim is equally easy with both, you just need someone to show you. At times I found the BCD would push me forwards at the surface (fully inflated). I don't have that experience with my wing however I will concede that "muscle memory" probably makes unconscious adjustments on my behalf.

I don't like the BCD riding up on the surface and miss my crotch strap. Equally when diving off a boat where you need to pass up your weight belt and gear, the BCD is easier (Putting weights on the wing makes it heavier to pass up, and a weight belt can be more awkward to remove first when worn under a wing)

I prefer the freedom from straps on a chest that a wing gives, although Aqualung, and Apex have their "Wrapture system) that is similar to the wing shoulder straps (other manufacturers may have similar).

The BCD causes me to carry extra weight because of teh trapped air, and more inherent buoyancy of the material - but the difference isn't that significant.

I like to customise my wing (s) depending on their usage (Summer divign or Winter Dry-suit diving), I also prefer the additional D-Rings for slinging "ponies" and the like.

That said I'm about to purchase an Apex Black Ice BCD prior to my IDC and IE to use for Pool work, and some OW diving - much to my wife's disdain.

But what if I have my Shearwater dive computer with bungee straps and Jet Fins with spring straps, shouldn't that be enough to save me from dying ?
I'm pretty sure those are the only things that will save you for dying.

Back
Top Bottom