Back inflate or wrap around BCD??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to try different BCDs and see how you like how different models feel. I have used some that seemed to inflate annoying much all around my front, making it unreasonably hard to reach down to my sides. I also tried one that seemed to inflate only inwards, sqeezing my stomach from the sides in a very uncomfortable way. I bought a Seac Sub Pro 2000 that I still find very comfortable even when fully inflated and nicely adjustable to make it fit just right. As a new diver my BCD was really nice in that it has so many air dumps in so many different locations. I wish my wing had a dump in the back (facing the surface somewhere near my right buttock). My BCD has one there and I use it a lot.

That said, I usually use a backplate and wing and absolutely love the feeling of having almost nothing cluttering my front. Also carring a canister lamp is a breeze with a wing and a pain in the keester with a BCD. I dive a drysuit with pockets however; if I had no pockets in my suit I would really, really miss the big zippered pockets of a BCD.

Last edited:
The poster didn't ask about BP/W
I can't stand it either and I am a BP/W diver. It's not just BCD's. You will see similar attitudes with other equipment like fins and dive computers.

It is one thing to try to be helpful but there is still a little of the old DIR condescending attitude around. Fine if you are headed in the tech direction but really annoying in the new and recreational diver threads. It is nice to make suggestions and offer advice but some people have difficulty doing that without being insulting.

Seriously - the new thing is "gear shaming" and if you're not diving Brand X BP/W with a Shearwater Name Dropper Computer and Brand Z Heavy Stiff fins - you're not worthy. Lets equate dive proficiency with dollars spent!!! - and of course most of the equipment manufacturers gladly support gear dependency over the mindset of self reliance. Gee I wonder why? I know jacket BC divers that don't blink an eye if they change up to a BP/W or just a blown plastic pack with rubber harness and a single cam strap to hold the tank on so I think a diver should be allowed to use whatever she or he likes without being ticketed by the scuba police.

I have very limited experience with both styles, and have never used a BP/W, but I prefer the back inflate over the jacket style. The jacket style was too much of a squeezing feeling for me, and I am not a big guy.

Most are suggesting that the op TRY a bp/w and buy what you like.
You know, an educated decision based on more than opinion...(go sm)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom