Back inflate or wrap around BCD??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a back inflate and yes, it CAN push you face first at the surface but if used properly it won't. I found this out on my first OW training dive. I had entirely too much air in the bladder which pushed me forward.

My instructor had me let out some air and then lean back like I was sitting in a Lazyboy recliner. From that point on I have not had an issue.

It is comfortable unlike the jacket style which I find, like @Marie13 and many others, squeezes and makes diving a bit uncomfortable.

Plus, having the bubble on your back makes life easier as far as I am concerned.

I dive a back inflate and yes, it CAN push you face first at the surface but if used properly it won't. I found this out on my first OW training dive. I had entirely too much air in the bladder which pushed me forward.

My instructor had me let out some air and then lean back like I was sitting in a Lazyboy recliner. From that point on I have not had an issue.

+1
I have my weight on shoulder straps, that will exacerbate the effect. But with just enough air in the wing for my mouth to clear the water, that does not happen. You just need to be comfortable riding low in the water.

You just need to be comfortable riding low in the water.
One word: Chop. It goes rather poorly with riding low in the water. Particularly if you're OOG.

Here is my second OW training dive and you can see I sit just high enough to keep my head out of the water.

Actually in this pic I am a smidg higher than normal as I recall finning for no reason other than I didn't know to just kick back and relax but as you can see I am not face first in the water.

Attachments

• Diver OK.jpg
    Diver OK.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 92
I think with any back inflate BCD you will want to put some weight in the rear trim weight pockets.

If you look at most BCD's the front weight pockets put the weight on the front of the stomach and not at the sides of the hips. Putting all the weight in the front pockets makes it more likely to push you face down. Not just at the surface, but also underwater.

I think the issue is the opposing locations of the weight vs the air in the bladder. Air wants to rise, lead wants to sink. Put lead on the front of the stomach, air high on the back = body rotation face down.

Last edited:
Trying both is indeed the way to go.

A back-inflate BC can help promote horizontal trim underwater, but not every diver is as fanatical about horizontal trim as reading Scubaboard might lead one to believe. Exactly how flat must one be? Zero degrees? Or is 30 degrees just fine? I suspect most divers with a little experience can get reasonably flat with just about any BC. Anyway, read up on why horizontal trim is considered beneficial, try both back-inflate and jacket-style, and make a decision. Back-inflate "tipping a diver headfirst" is more myth than anything, probably originating from inexperienced divers who over-inflated a large-capacity BC or wing--that is, beyond what was necessary to float them. Yeah, if you "try" hard enough, you can make it tip you forward.

Despite what some say about the benefits of back-inflate, other people say they prefer jacket-style because they like the "secure" feeling of being wrapped in the BC. Divers all over the world are happily using jacket-style BCs, many probably achieving good enough horizontal trim, and nobody thinks anything of it.

Give both a fair try.

I got a back inflate - for reasons other than the position of the bladder. It does push me forward a little on the surface compared to a jacket style but I have only noticed this once or twice in twenty dives. I can inflate mine fully and just need to lift my knees a bit to be sitting high and stable with head and shoulders above the water

There are also some jacket style BCDs that mostly inflate in the back with little wrap around inflation.

Rent several different ones and see what you like.

I did my training in a jacket type then bought a back inflate on advice from a friend. I definitely prefer the back inflate (Zeagle Stiletto).

I do know some divers that love the jacket style for the same reason i hate them, the squeeze. The two people I mentioned both like it as a form of comfort as they were not the most calm people when they started to dive.

Like always being hugged underwater.

. . .
There are also some jacket style BCDs that mostly inflate in the back with little wrap around inflation.

I had one of those at one time--they called it a "hybrid BC."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom