Avelo--I guess there's no need for me to recommend fundies anymore....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has the same draw backs, and more actually. The Dacor just used the air in the tank to displace the water, this unit requires an electric battery and electric pump (additional failure points)

The major drawback is, how heavy will this thing be if you need to pull an unconscious diver out of the water.....and no one realizes you need to activate the pump...and per their website, when the system is full of water, it could take a full sixty seconds to dump it (if the pump is working/battery's not dead). Think of holding onto a unconscious diver, at the platform, in rough water, for 60 seconds as it pumps out the water.
It doesn't need a pump to remove water!!!!
A valve let's the water out!!! (Whether it's an electric valve or not I don't know )

Assuming there is pressure in the tank, water is pushed out by the bladder with air, removing the water that's between the outer pressure tank and the rubber bladder that actually holds the air,!!!!!!

The pump only compresses the air in the bladder, making a smaller air bubble = less bouyence....

I am fully aware that in most places around the world local diving is in harsh environment. My point is that in such environments you cannot apply the PADI-style "one weekend" OW approach. Which instead is perfectly reasonable in holiday resorts, in tropical waters, under very favourable conditions.
Oh Angelo, it is rare for me to disagree with you. We have a shop in the area that does teach resort style in the Puget Sound. They've only had one OW training death and two AOW in the past number of years.

People are too demanding in expecting a perfect safety record. One has to maximize profits after all.

(in case there are any doubts, I am being entirely sarcastic - my way of containing my anger to the situation).

....i bet that system is really easy to have hydro'd......
I was about to say "good luck getting it filled" but your comment trumps mine... ;-)

A valve let's the water out!!! (Whether it's an electric valve or not I don't know )

Assuming there is pressure in the tank, water is pushed out by the bladder with air, removing the water that's between the outer pressure tank and the rubber bladder that actually holds the air,!!!!!!

The pump only compresses the air in the bladder, making a smaller air bubble = less bouyence....
You are correct, but dude, chill out on exclamation marks.

How do you measure the amount of water being dumped? A pump could do that, a valve may not be accurate unless there’s an inline measurement device

Why would you need to measure it? Do you measure how much air you dump from BCD?
Dump small amount and assess, repeat if needed, just like with BCD
You're right, it's manual. Just like a BCD.

Let’s take something that’s easy to learn and reliable and throw tech at it and see if it’s better.

Nope.

It’s reliant on complex technology with electronics underwater. Look at the number of failed rebreather projects.

When it fails, the diver must be able to mitigate this by using a BCD. The tech has dumbed the skills to the point of atrophy; the diver’s going down or up but must be able to cope. What about failed tech prior to the dive? Just let them sit it out as the rest of the boat with reliable kit have a lovely dive?

Dumbed down skills means other skills are also dubious, poor coral reef/wreck, etc. What about buddy skills, will that diver be able to cope with helping others?

One of the reasons the Open Water course covers a fair amount of ground is learning how to be calm. Buoyancy is part of that.

Anyway, let the technologists fill their boots with solutions to non-existent problems (like the i3!)

older divers years ago would say using a BCD is using dumbed down skills. They HAVE said that in fact. For years until it became standard practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom