Avelo--I guess there's no need for me to recommend fundies anymore....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So THAT’S what that “leaked” video on YouTube that was posted on SB was all about! Be interested to see how well it really works.

Call me a curmudgeon but that seems like an equipment solution to a skills problem.

This ought to be good for an 80+ page debate like the one SB is having about pony bottles.

They give an explanation on their website. Basically, their tank actually have an empty space that can be filled/emptied by an electric pump. They claim 2 benefits :
1- no (major) change of boyancy with change of depth
2- lighter over all gear because their system, once filled with water is enough to make anyone negatively boyant

1 is mostly true if you set aside the wet suit compression and such

2 means that their system is heavy enough too make anyone sink. So it actually weight more than what you need (unless you are in the very upper range)

Ooh, swap your wing and weights for a submarine ballast system built around an integrated cylinder.

Do they really expect us to believe it's going to be lighter overall?

Parent company seems to be Marksmen Inc. (based on whois records) so far looks like it's more an idea on paper than an actual product.. apart from some renders I don't see any actual product images. Or, in fact, any easily available information about the company..

So many questions.. filled to 300 bar, yet they can still pump water into the cylinder compressing the internal air bladder enough to make you neutrally buyoant. Wonder how many bar that makes the air bladder..

An Al80 isn't neutral, let alone positive when full, and that's without a battery pack and pump attached. Yet this system is supposed to be?

Seawater inside your cylinder with a movable membrane? What could possibly go wrong after a year or two of surface abrasion followed by corrosion..

Will be interesting to see if it ever reaches market.

(EDIT: I assumed the cylinder would be made of Al/Steel; thinking about it, far more likely carbon fibre, of course, which could remove two of my points I suppose..)

I'm pretty sure there's a standard
So many questions.. filled to 300 bar, yet they can still pump water into the cylinder compressing the internal air bladder enough to make you neutrally buyoant. Wonder how many bar that makes the air bladder..

An Al80 isn't neutral, let alone positive when full, and that's without a battery pack and pump attached. Yet this system is supposed to be?

Seawater inside your cylinder with a movable membrane? What could possibly go wrong after a year or two of surface abrasion followed by corrosion..
I'm pretty sure the setup is a conventional - most likely steel - cylinder that's surrounded by a thinner shell. The space between the cylinder and shell is the ballast tank. Doing it this way means the shell only has to handle say 12-15 bar if they limit it to recreational depths and include a normal safety margin. Double that if they allow it to go to 100m.

Edit:
hydrotank.png

Back
Top Bottom