Avelo--I guess there's no need for me to recommend fundies anymore....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost never add air to my wing (I only dump air) once I've adjusted after the initial descent, so the savings in air, for me, would be non-existant.

I'm not sure how you would eliminate the BCD or wing. I understood the Avelo system to be self-balancing as far as the tank was concerned. In other words the tank bouyancy remains the same regardless of air content, but nothing else.
Ok , kind of what i meant. adjustments. Supposedly with the avelo you dont need to adjust at all....cept a couple times a dive total. and the boyancy is adjusted by saltwater taken into the tank. no weights needed....

One of the biggest problems I see with this - if it actually works- is now you can buy a tank to replace a bcd and tank that costs as much as both (probably quite a bit more), but now that means you have to buy a new bcd for every tank you own. I am on the light side and own 6 tanks and 2 bcd (one for sm, one bp/w). I would need to essentially be buying a bcd for every tank I own, since the price is included.
I think you just talked yourself into a circle. the object of the avelo tank is to eliminate the bcd completely. you dont need one at all....

Yes. But will Avelo be more analogous to the electric car or the Segway? Both were technologically great developments.
good question. if elon musk thought as you did there would be no tesla. no space x. etc. some things succeed and some fail.

the discussion in this thread isnt that it will or will not work. the question is how will this add to or affect diving IF IT WORKS. Thats all. if it does work ill buy it for using on my west coast usa diving in cold water off monterey and san diego.

get rid of 15 plus pounds of weight?????? Sign me up right now brotha! heck yes. and no bcd? yes and yes. It will be light years lighter to do shore dives.

Anyone doing monastary beach in monterey will have a WAY easier time during entry and exit with this system if it comes to market.

for local divers that drive to their dive sites and do shore dives....oooooh baby this is nice.

older divers years ago would say using a BCD is using dumbed down skills. They HAVE said that in fact. For years until it became standard practice.
Simplicity and the art of diving.

High pressure pump and battery vs. simple bladder… ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Expensive vs. cheap…. Ha ha ha ha ha…
One trick pony vs. general purpose flexible bladder…. Ha ha ha ha ha…
Simple to use — provided it works — vs. simple to use BCD

Could go on, but please fill yer boots with the wonders of over-engineered sparkly tech.

Ok , kind of what i meant. adjustments. Supposedly with the avelo you dont need to adjust at all....cept a couple times a dive total. and the boyancy is adjusted by saltwater taken into the tank. no weights needed....
What about changing depth? Variations in your exposure suit? Picking stuff up, dropping it off, helping someone with buoyancy problems, holding something for someone…

Ye cannae change the laws of physics captain.

Where’s the backup for when your complex technological solution fails; what’s the backup plan?

Simplicity and the art of diving.

High pressure pump and battery vs. simple bladder… ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Expensive vs. cheap…. Ha ha ha ha ha…
One trick pony vs. general purpose flexible bladder…. Ha ha ha ha ha…
Simple to use — provided it works — vs. simple to use BCD

Could go on, but please fill yer boots with the wonders of over-engineered sparkly tech.
What happens when your dive computer fails? your regulator fails? your bcd doesnt inflate? or getting towed by your propellor tow machine in heavy current and it fails, or your drysuit fills completely with water, or a fin falls off, or mask drops off, or a hose bursts and air goes ?

its ALL the same thing. more complex? you have an electric pump. but eliminate a bcd......

How is the avelo more dangerous than a bcd that goes haywire and wont lnflate when you are at 110 ft deep in current?

Ye cannae change the laws of physics captain.
Well put. It seems that a lot of physics calculations have gone into the design and implementation of the various components of the Avelo System. I guess we'll all see as more information comes to light from the website and other media outlets.

I for one am looking forward to seeing these out in the wild.

What happens when your dive computer fails? your regulator fails? your bcd doesnt inflate? or getting towed by your propellor tow machine in heavy current and it fails, or your drysuit fills completely with water, or a fin falls off, or mask drops off, or a hose bursts and air goes ?

its ALL the same thing. more complex? you have an electric pump. but eliminate a bcd......

How is the avelo more dangerous than a bcd that goes haywire and wont lnflate when you are at 110 ft deep in current?
Computer fails: if recreational then the many options include ending the dive; following beside a buddy; approximating the dive using your gas usage (SPG); using your backup computer…

Regulator fails: switch to backup; shutdown and use the other side; buddy gas; ascend…

BCD doesn’t inflate: WTF did you jump in without checking it in the first place; reconnect the hose; manually inflate using the elephant's trunk; connect the drysuit hose; inflate the SMB; use a buddy; drop lead; take deep breaths and fin…

DPV fails. Fin; ascend/descend; buddy tow; abort dive…

Drysuit flood: use BCD; inflate SMB…

Fin falls off: so what, just use the one.

Mask falls off: use the backup or just do the dive without a mask

To summarise, there’s always ways to mitigate this WHICH YOU PRACTICE FOR.

Now on to your toy…. You’re marketing the thing to unskilled divers as they’ll rely on your automatic buoyancy device and loose the skills, which assumes they ever had them in the first place (and assuming it even works). How do they adjust for more/less weight during the dive?

Where’s the backup buoyancy and can you inflate/deflate— you know, like a BCD?

How does someone come to the aid of a diver in trouble with your pool toy? Is the inflate and dump obvious to the rescuers or is it like the P.O.S. i3?

It takes a very simple and cheap existing tool which works and adds massive complexity.

Well put. It seems that a lot of physics calculations have gone into the design and implementation of the various components of the Avelo System. I guess we'll all see as more information comes to light from the website and other media outlets.

I for one am looking forward to seeing these out in the wild.
BCD $300
Automatic buoyancy thing $1000 to $3000???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom