Avelo--I guess there's no need for me to recommend fundies anymore....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its ALL the same thing. more complex? you have an electric pump. but eliminate a bcd......
forgot about the tank…. How much gas does it hold? How is it tested? How long does the bladder last? What’s the fill pressure (300 bar) and where exactly will you get a dive shop to fill to that pressure? How does the bladder fail? DIN regs only.

Electric pump. Battery. Electronics.
And salt water.

It’s expensive tech to do that right. My torches and suit heater batteries cost lots of money.

How is the avelo more dangerous than a bcd that goes haywire and wont lnflate when you are at 110 ft deep in current?
They don’t fail like that, but see the previous post.

How is the avelo more dangerous than a bcd that goes haywire and wont lnflate when you are at 110 ft deep in current?
Balanced rig.

It looks like some of you are going in circles trying to find what is wrong with another's guy rig.

What I would like to know is weight of that system itself. Promo stuff says you will not need weights/BCD blah blah blah, and I understand the working principle. What I wonder about is how much pump that is strong enough to pump up to 400 bars and battery to run said pump are responsible, weight wise, for that "you will not need weights".
If solenoid fails, it should be easy to put manual backup (yeah, adding complexity, but we have multiple valves on BCD), but how do you prevent from going up if pump fail during a dive?
I am not saying it will not work or it won't succeed, but I would like answers to questions like these answered before working all the hype up.

I wonder how difficult air travel with the tank will be. It seems likely the target audience is non-tech vacation divers. Unless the manufacturer thinks it's going to sell these things to dive ops in exotic locations (who can't be bothered to properly maintain their aluminum tanks) it's got to go on planes in order to be successful.

If solenoid fails, it should be easy to put manual backup (yeah, adding complexity, but we have multiple valves on BCD),
From what I saw, there's no solenoid, it's manual which dumps the water out of the tank thus it'll get a little bit lighter (1kg ~= 1 litre) Goodness knows how big the tank is to allow the weight to adjust.

but how do you prevent from going up if pump fail during a dive?
Oooh, loook, itsss fail-safe! Yet another benefit!

The fundimental issue here is that you may / will need a backup system. How is someone going to be able to use a normal BCD if their skills are so poor that they need this system?

I wonder how difficult air travel with the tank will be. It seems likely the target audience is non-tech vacation divers. Unless the manufacturer thinks it's going to sell these things to dive ops in exotic locations (who can't be bothered to properly maintain their aluminum tanks) it's got to go on planes in order to be successful.
Definitely agree with the lack of tank maintenance. I carry O-rings for the tank valve because most of the dive ops don't and don't check before loading the boat.

Definitely agree with the lack of tank maintenance. I carry O-rings for the tank valve because most of the dive ops don't and don't check before loading the boat.
Yep. I've gotten into the habit of chaning the o-ring on any rental tank I use. It isn't expensive and can save me a lot of trouble. It seems like this thing would require dilligent maintenance else whatever pliable material between air and water inside ruptures.

Yep. I've gotten into the habit of chaning the o-ring on any rental tank I use. It isn't expensive and can save me a lot of trouble. It seems like this thing would require dilligent maintenance else whatever pliable material between air and water inside ruptures.
That's really smart. I think I'll be sure to always do the same from now on.

Hyd accumulators are used the same way, and just as high of pressure, rubber seems to stand up, I am sure after so many years it needs to get changed,

No sun light and ozone helps alot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom