Avelo--I guess there's no need for me to recommend fundies anymore....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The world is not only tec divers who are willing to spend a lot of time learning crazy techniques, and not even passionate rec-divers who want to improve their skills. Many people want to try the experience, and then it's over for them; this is especially true for my generation: people just want to share their experiences on social networks, and then they want to try the next adventure.

What does it mean?

Most likely, the target customers of this company are diving centres who want to sell an easy experience to tourists, maybe just a discovery experience. Even most likely, the target diving centres are located in luxury resorts or stuff like that***.

[*** Why do I think so? (1) because that stuff is expensive; (2) my generation is getting richer right now, so in the early future *we* (better... some of my peers) will be able to spend a massive amount of money on experience (millennials do not like to spend on objects, like boomers, they tend to prefer experiences). I might be wrong with this analysis]

These diving centres have money to buy this stuff and have time to check the equipment.

They could offer a more leisurely discovery day (or maybe days) to their clients.

The diving centres can charge more money, so they are happy. The diving centres' customers can now have the same experience with less effort, so they are delighted, and probably even lazier people ould try it. Some might even be interested in doing an easy OW course since by not managing the buoyancy, everything is less complicated and, therefore, funnier.

Obviously, there is a niche in the market for this product. And, obviously, it isn't sure that the company will manage to win it, only time will say it.

Genuine question; what problem is this "solution" supposed to solve?

I did a couple of "discover" dives on honeymoon decades ago. I don't remember having problems with buoyancy given the overwhelming feeling of OMG, I'm breathing underwater and feeling weightless. I'll never know why I then left it for a further 25 years before taking up diving.

For those who do Discover diving, is this a serious problem that needs this kind of solution?

but no one needed the internet in 1990 either. or electric cars, etc etc etc.
Yes. But will Avelo be more analogous to the electric car or the Segway? Both were technologically great developments.

Wow, such a unique idea, using water as ballast.....

s-l400.jpg

Genuine question; what problem is this "solution" supposed to solve?

(1) nowadays, the divers who do a discovery dive do not have to manage the buoyancy - the guide does; basically, they are making the process easier for guides, and since most guides are not that experienced, I guess this product is helping them, but this is just a guess
(2) the product is a **NEW** technology (ok, as @jadairiii shows, this isn't true, but they will sell it as the newest and more advanced tool on the market); therefore, for most people who do not understand diving, it is the coolest thing - and being the coolest is the number 1 problem of my generation

You are still looking at the problem from your perspective, but you are a tech diver with tons of experience, and even when you weren't a diver you probably had a specific mindset - very, very far from most people.

P.S. When I said that they are maybe targeting "rich" millennials, I was guessing; that analysis could be wrong, but the main point is still valid: they are clearly targeting an audience very different from the users of scuba board, from tec divers, etc.

Wow, such a unique idea, using water as ballast.....

s-l400.jpg

Maybe there wasn't an appropriate market for this concept at that time, but today yes... who knows...

Yes. But will Avelo be more analogous to the electric car or the Segway? Both were technologically great developments.
I think Segway is the best they can hope for. The bulk of Segway sales go to tourist operations who provide an "experience" that most of their customers will not repeat. I suspect this will find its niche as an upmarket Discovery Dive offering at vacation resorts.

Perhaps some dive shops will be able to use it as part of the Scuba Diver certification* so they can quickly get prospective divers to a "real" dive. You can't see the 40' limit or required guide in the Instagram photos.

* PADI's Scuba Diver course requirements from Scuba Diver | PADI
  • Knowledge Development (eLearning, independent study or in a classroom) to understand basic principles of scuba diving - just the first three of five sections of the Open Water Diver courses
  • Confined Water Dives to learn basic scuba skills - just the first three of five dives of the Open Water Diver course
  • Open Water Dives to use your skills and explore - just two of four dives of the Open Water Diver course.

Maybe there wasn't an appropriate market for this concept at that time, but today yes... who knows...

It has the same draw backs, and more actually. The Dacor just used the air in the tank to displace the water, this unit requires an electric battery and electric pump (additional failure points)

The major drawback is, how heavy will this thing be if you need to pull an unconscious diver out of the water.....and no one realizes you need to activate the pump...and per their website, when the system is full of water, it could take a full sixty seconds to dump it (if the pump is working/battery's not dead). Think of holding onto a unconscious diver, at the platform, in rough water, for 60 seconds as it pumps out the water.

Think of holding onto a unconscious diver, at the platform, in rough water, for 60 seconds as it pumps out the water.
PRetty unlikely scenario. These conditions would attract divers who are able and interested in using standard equipment, which is more performing.

I get your point, but I still believe there could be a market for this stuff, the same I depicted some posts above. That is very easy dives, very shallow, and crystal clear warm water. But again, time will say it :)

...and per their website, when the system is full of water, it could take a full sixty seconds to dump it (if the pump is working/battery's not dead). Think of holding onto a unconscious diver, at the platform, in rough water, for 60 seconds as it pumps out the water.
Seems to be a curious design choice to rely on an electric pump to fight full high pressure, must require a lot of battery power. Then there’s the electrically operated valve — or is the motor doubling up as a valve?

Seems an odd design to directly interact with high pressure when they could use intermediate pressure (reminder every 1 bar/ATA is one kilogram pressure on each square centimetre: 200bar/3000Psi is 200kg/240pounds on your fingernail). IP (10bar/150psi) is readily available from the first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom