Avanti Quattro Plus vs. Seawing Nova for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same diff...my point being they broke whilst travel diving which for me on a liveaboard in the middle of nowhere could be a problem. Hopefully SP will do something nice for you.

Oh, I thought that you were saying that you didn't take them traveling because they were too fragile for luggage. Gotcha.

Same diff...my point being they broke whilst travel diving which for me on a liveaboard in the middle of nowhere could be a problem. Hopefully SP will do something nice for you.
Last March, I was on the Okeanos Aggressor II in Cocos, and a woman's Seawing Novas broke in exactly the same way. Fortunately, the Aggressor had rental/loaner fins for her to use for the rest of the trip. Usually, I don't think of fins as being a vulnerable piece of equipment

I think it is pretty common knowledge, at least on SB, that the first generation of Seawing Novas had a manufacturing defect at that particular point. I also understand that this defect was fixed in later generations and all of those who bought the first generation could get them exchanged for the newer generations without any trouble. Sucks for the person who had it broken on a liveaboard though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fins similar to Mares Avanti Quattro's that come in a smaller size for women's size 7 feet? My LDS suggested the Avanti 3's (also known as the Superchannels I think), but they're quite a bit shorter. And they don't come with spring straps, although I could get them installed. So I didn't bite on that one yet. I'd like to see if there are other alternatives.

I know a lot of people like the Dive Rite XTs...

Last edited:
Hi @Dogbowl

I have been diving XTs for many years now, switched from Quattros. They are quite powerful, good for all kicks. The small size is said to be good for up to women's size 7. I might get some red ones if I ever need a new pair

Good luck in your fin purchase

It’s easy to spot a failing seawing long before it breaks, bend them and inspect the bottom of the serrations or grooves if you prefer, if you see any sign of cracking take them to a scubapro dealer and get a new pair. The seawing is a very good all around fin but are at there best for flutter kicking, I have 3 sets that I no longer use because I find my modified eddys work much better for frog kicks and well for flutter kicks.

It’s easy to spot a failing seawing long before it breaks, bend them and inspect the bottom of the serrations or grooves if you prefer, if you see any sign of cracking take them to a scubapro dealer and get a new pair. The seawing is a very good all around fin but are at there best for flutter kicking, I have 3 sets that I no longer use because I find my modified eddys work much better for frog kicks and well for flutter kicks.

Curious...how did you modify them?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it work yet. With my 6.5 mm booties, size 7 feet, the size small Quattro fit fine on land but was wobbly in the water. I'm still searching for a thicker soled boot to see if it will work. My husband uses the Quattros (same size) and he likes it. I might have to get the three channelled ones (I think they're called Avanti 3s?) since they have a size extra small.
I am really surprised the small is loose for you. I have the Mares Trilastic 5 mm thick soled booties (size 5 or 6, they are so old the size has worn off) that fits well in the pocket. My new Seasofts size 7 really fit too snugly. And I bought the 7’s by mistake. I wish you were closer. I’d let you try them out. They are really a bit to big for me.

I have used the Nova's twice in CZM now (26 dives) with no issue finning with current! I like the light weight and they fit in my luggage easily.No doubt there are numerous other fins that would work just as well, but I dont own them:)

sanded reliefs into the stiffening ribs
27634314309_9239ae3300_c.jpg

27634313429_65e60e776f_c.jpg
27634316269_f29ffcb11d_c.jpg

This makes them perform, for me, as good as Jets who have a bit of tip flex action in the rubber that i found lacking in this material. I also have the 2x soft and these perform better, for me.
Curious...how did you modify them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom