Avanti Quattro Plus vs. Seawing Nova for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So I have a pair of travel fins, Aqualung Hotshots, that I have used for ocean and cenote diving. While they were fine for the cenotes, since they have a rather short blade, and excellent for travel, since they are light, they are pretty much useless (ok, I'm exaggerating here) in stronger current situations. I have learned my lesson that one fin can't do everything well, so I'm in the market for a pair of fins specifically for current (think Cozumel). My research has brought me to these 2: Mares Avant Quattro Plus and Seawing Nova. Any thoughts?

I have a pair of Nova's and I like them a lot. They float, so while they might look huge, they actually go on my feet and I don't even know I am wearing them. They are also very easy to kick and you can really move out in the water if you need to.
All that said, they are a better swim fin then they are a "maneuvering" fin. If you are diving a wreck and you are trying to hover around and see/photograph it then you might find these a little tough to work with. They are also different to frog kick with. The easiest way to describe it is if you are in the water and try to swing your toes flat and side to side, like to rotate your foot on your heel, the fin will either raise up or dip down. You cant move it flat {like you would to maneuver around}.
If you get in the water, get to depth and get horizontal and pretty much stay that way most of the dive you will love the Nova's. They make a version called the "Gorilla" that is stiffer and even more powerful, but I have not tried those.
When I did my check out dives I had to drag a 300 pound instructor to the surface from 30 ft for my CESA. I know he was weightless under water, but he was not the most "streamlined" item I ever had to tow! The next day he had on a pair of Novas and on the final dive when we all just swam around and followed him I had zero trouble keeping up. After the dive the others were complaining about him going too fast.

Last edited:
I've owned all three, if you flutter kick the Novas are quite fast, light, very comfortable but I frog kick and found them terrible at that particular kick, I sold them.

I owned some Gorillas, a tad heavier, very comfortable, stiffer and frog kick reasonable well, however my local has a ton of discarded fishing line and nets, it only took getting caught up once for me to sell them.

I've owned the Quattros and the Plus version, both surprisingly light given their size, relatively stiff, powerful and I could do all kicks in them. If you predominantly flutter I could imagine getting tired unless you have reasonable leg strength. I found the Plys version to be a little "twisty" and preferred the older version.

I've owned most "popular" fins on the market. After going through countless fins in my quest I finally settled on DiveRite XTs for wet and Mares Power Planas for Dry.

If there's another fin you're interested in post back as I've likely owned it and can give my personal opinion. FWIW I'm a small guy, small feet, skeletal physique and predominantly frog kick. Good luck.

I've owned numerous "travel" fins but gave up on them all as the weight saving or ease of packing came with a price, less than ideal in a wide range of conditions. Now I just take my usual gear when traveling and leave everything else at home. If I've paid a ton of money to travel dive I'd rather use my usual gear and actually enjoy the diving as opposed to struggling in currents, having a heavy weight belt etc etc...

Hi @Dogbowl

LIke @buddhasummer I settled on XTs. I also mostly frogkick but flutter a little. They are very good for helicopter, back kicks. When push comes to shove, they are very powerful. Fin choice is personal, I tried several before the XTs. I also travel with the XTs in the bottom of my regular check in luggage.

I have and love the Mares Avanti Quattro +. I primarily frog kick but will occasionally flutter when in strong current or need to kick against it to stay put on a drift. It did wonderfully in Komodo and Cozumel, areas known for strong current. It also does well with reverse frog (backwards).

I had an instructor in Coz hunt me down when she saw my fins. She said she had been waiting for someone in her size to come along to Cozumel so she could beg and plead for them to sell them to her. Apparently they are a favorite fin down there and are either unavailable or very expensive. She offered more than what I paid to make up for the trouble but Amazon Prime is no trouble at all and her happiness was contagious.

I've used my Novas in Coz twice and found them perfectly qualified for the dives. They even pack rather well....a heck of a lot smaller than my Mares split fins!

Looks like if I was looking for a pair of Cozumel-dedicated flutter-kick fins, the Seawing Novas would be the winner, but if I was looking for a good pair of all-around fins, Mares Avanti Quattros would be the one??? Dang, I still can't decide.

Back
Top Bottom