Avanti Quattro Plus vs. Seawing Nova for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my trip to St. Croix last year...! Happened during a dive.

IMG_7513.JPG

These are the best fins I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few pair in my time.

Avanti Quattro Power

I also own a pair of the Seawing Novas. I only use them when I go somewhere like Bonaire where I need to wear booties for shore entry. Otherwise, I only dive the Mares full foot fins above. They are a little longer than typical scuba fins but not as long as free dive fins so they still pack in my suitcase. They are not cheap but they are excellent fins.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it work yet. With my 6.5 mm booties, size 7 feet, the size small Quattro fit fine on land but was wobbly in the water. I'm still searching for a thicker soled boot to see if it will work. My husband uses the Quattros (same size) and he likes it. I might have to get the three channelled ones (I think they're called Avanti 3s?) since they have a size extra small.

Oh no that makes me a bit nervous! I have size 7 feet & 5mm boots. I hope my Quattros work ok in the water! My feet are a bit wide so I hope that helps. Good luck in your search!

They didn't break in my luggage, they broke on a dive.

Did you turn them in for a new pair? My pair is still one of the first production models and the shop I bought them from said if they ever break, SP will replace them with the new design. Just come by and drop off the old pair and pick up a new pair.

Nah, I figured that I didn't really need them and just got a cheap light pair of Sherwood Elites for my travel fins (I use heavy Hollis F1s at home in my dry suit).

To be honest, even though fin performance is something that is extensively discussed and tested, I really don't see much difference between fins. Yes, in a heavy current, some might work a bit better than others, but I think that personal conditioning and technique are vastly more relevant than fin design in determining how effectively and efficiently you move in the water.

I'm an underwater photographer, and in those discussions someone always brings up sensor size or RAW capability when critiquing some out of focus, poorly framed and dimly lit shot. My feeling is that skills are so much more important than equipment, that for the vast majority of photographers those gear issues just aren't relevant.

I used to be a bicycle roadie, and there was always some rich, overweight guy buying the titanium seatpost to make the bike lighter.

Eh, just my 2 PSI. Buy fins that are comfortable on your feet, and get spring straps. And remember, it's not a race.

To be honest, even though fin performance is something that is extensively discussed and tested, I really don't see much difference between fins..........Buy fins that are comfortable on your feet, and get spring straps. And remember, it's not a race.

Totally agree. I don't know that I can tell a great deal of difference between my two pair. I just like having a full foot fin so there is no need for booties.

I wandered from Mares Volo, which I found too flimsy to Hollis F1, which I liked, yet found them a bit too heavy and cumbersome, and finally settled with Apeks RK3. Neutrally buoyant, suitable both for wet and dry diving, good balance between thrust and manoeuvrability. I chose the white ones. Good to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom