Automotive defog for my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REII:
Hey Pete;

I have been using 1/3 baby shampoo to 2/3 water and it works. Why did you switch to 100% shampoo? Did your mask still fog when it was watered down a little?

TOM
50/50 worked fine most of the time but it didn't hold up as well on second dives especially below 40F.

Besides Walter said to just use it straight! :)

Pete

Matt S.:
All I know is that if you accidentally get Rain-X on the INSIDE of your window, you are hosed. It's a fog MAGNET.

That makes sense.

You also need to stay away from having any thing on your fingers when you apply anti-fog. Hand lotion, sanitizer, sunscreen and all that crap will raise holly heck.

Pete

i have super spit, and ive never had to resort to using chemicals to de-fog my mask.....

i was meant to dive. LOL

Here is a slightly different techinique for you.

If you use your normal defog method and still fog, take you mask off and rub the lens. I do this under water. The theory being that it cleans the oil etc off and also cools your skin. Try it some time it might work for you.

Hint #2 If you are using a mask with a pruge valve you might be exhaling through your nose. This will also make your mask fog.

You DO NOT want that stuff getting into your eyes.

the K

I have always used spit, too. And I can take that on the airplane with me.

I have been using automotive defog for a long time. It does the job, but you are welcomed to a new level of hell if you forget to rinse the mask before donning it. I did it once and thought my eyes were melting.

It is NOT recommended.

I really need to remember to buy some baby shampoo.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, that pretty much answers my question :) - I kinda figured it would work to some degree, but knew it wasnt very "environmentally" friendly or good for the soft tissues of the eyes.

-----

Mike.

I started using 100% J&J baby shampoo, because it was taking me too long to fill the other bottles up with spit!

Back
Top Bottom