Scubapro D-Mask First Cleaning Help / Confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also bought the d mask recently. In January of this year. Purchased because I purchased the scubapro hud dive computer. I relentlessly researched how to clean the mask, and couldn’t find much info about real users experiences with it. I was worried about it fogging especially because I need to be able to see the little hud screen. My prep work on mask included scrubbing with dawn/water and my finger many, many times on the inside of lens. I also let dawn sit on the inside of mask for around 24hrs and it would dry and I would add water, repeat. I have now used the d mask on 2 dive vacations totaling somewhere around 25-30 dives. I didn’t use defogger as I prefer spit. Has not fogged up once. I have used the toothpaste method before on other masks. One of my masks requires defogger, spit doesn’t work adequately. I also purchased an atomic aquatics arc venom mask (or something like that, fancy $250 mask) a couple years ago. It had a similar uv coating on the lens. The store owner burned the silicone off using a lighter. He also burned off the uv coating almost completely off the mask. So I do know what it looks like when portions of uv type coatings are removed. (Returned that mask after 1 dive vacation). So I am 99% positive I didn’t damage my d mask by scrubbing until I couldn’t scrub anymore for multiple days and then scrub once more after I thought it was good. I don’t think masks should require anything more than just spit before dive. D mask with the tru-fit skirt is absolutely amazing and the most comfortable silicone I have used. Hope my experience helps.
So did you damaged it also or not?

"I didn’t damage my d mask by scrubbing until I couldn’t scrub anymore for multiple days and then scrub once more after I thought it was good."

In my case it looked like this (but as I said, Scubapro sent a replacement pair AND I switched to Bifocals anyway):

Attachments

• DMask.jpg
    DMask.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 104
So did you damaged it also or not?

"I didn’t damage my d mask by scrubbing until I couldn’t scrub anymore for multiple days and then scrub once more after I thought it was good."

In my case it looked like this (but as I said, Scubapro sent a replacement pair AND I switched to Bifocals anyway):
Noooo I definitely didn’t damage mine like the picture you posted. The atomic aquatic ones that the store owner burned with a butane torch didn’t even look like that, the green tint was just removed in some spots. So I returned them due to him ruining them. My dmask doesn’t look like your picture

Post dive report:

The "soak/scub with Dawn several times" did the trick. :) 19 dives on a liveaboard and only one fogging issue (I didn't apply defog as well that dive (again, just the normal diluted baby shampoo before a dive, rinse, then a small application i would let sit on the lens a bit before the dive). Good ol' spit probably would have worked fine as well.

The D-mask itself was a bit more mixed for me... I *think* I may need to try the larger mask skirt for a bit more coverage.

a) It leaks a lot on my nose and seemed to really be tight against the bottom. That said, I do have facial hair... and I haven't had a mask yet that doesn't leak on my nose. I can manage this by clearing with my nose, but sometimes that would let water in to the main mask.. leading to b...

b) I tended to get a good bit of main mask leakage when I looked around at odd angles.. (up / down, etc)... or moved my face around (easy enough to try not to do that).

All in all, it didn't bother me enough to stop diving with it... I loved the UV coating actually in very bright Bahamas conditions, and it was very clear under the water.

I just need to "dial it in" a bit with my face I think. (Maybe tighten up the strap a bit more... its not very easy to do underwater / as needed... even though I do like the ski goggle style.. very comfortable).

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that this mask is very low volume and very easy to clear (a plus to me). I liked that aspect quite a lot.

Post dive report:

The "soak/scub with Dawn several times" did the trick. :) 19 dives on a liveaboard and only one fogging issue (I didn't apply defog as well that dive (again, just the normal diluted baby shampoo before a dive, rinse, then a small application i would let sit on the lens a bit before the dive). Good ol' spit probably would have worked fine as well.

The D-mask itself was a bit more mixed for me... I *think* I may need to try the larger mask skirt for a bit more coverage.

a) It leaks a lot on my nose and seemed to really be tight against the bottom. That said, I do have facial hair... and I haven't had a mask yet that doesn't leak on my nose. I can manage this by clearing with my nose, but sometimes that would let water in to the main mask.. leading to b...

b) I tended to get a good bit of main mask leakage when I looked around at odd angles.. (up / down, etc)... or moved my face around (easy enough to try not to do that).

All in all, it didn't bother me enough to stop diving with it... I loved the UV coating actually in very bright Bahamas conditions, and it was very clear under the water.

I just need to "dial it in" a bit with my face I think. (Maybe tighten up the strap a bit more... its not very easy to do underwater / as needed... even though I do like the ski goggle style.. very comfortable).

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that this mask is very low volume and very easy to clear (a plus to me). I liked that aspect quite a lot.

I ordered the the D-Mask with "wide" skirt myself. I have yet to dive with it, the winds have been cooperating the last couple of months. You can order the wider skirt by itself and transfer the frame and lens to the skirt if you want.

I ordered the "wide" skirt for the D-Mask. You can order the wider skirt by itself and transfer the frame and lens to the skirt if you want.

Yeah, that's what I was planning to try. Hoping it will seal better...

I hope I am not too late... PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY ABRASIVE NOR STRONG CHEMICAL AT ALL in the D Mask!
I only used a mild dish detergent and my fingers to stop the mask from fogging and I ended up stripping the UV coating on one of the lenses.
I am honestly (and very) curious.

How does that mask perform underwater? One lens has no UV coating. What is the observed difference between the two lenses???

IMO, it performs great.

I haven't tried the non coated lenses UW yet BUT the fact that I cannot remember of any visually striking differences between the DMask's UV coated lenses and my Mares X-Vision that has normal lenses must mean that it is just fine :)

The field of view is a little smaller but I prefer the smaller volume as well. The silicon is super soft and on par with the Mares. However, my Mares leaks IF my moustache is a little linger than usual while the Scubapro doesn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom