Best Mask Defog ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the old days, they taught us not to use toothpaste with pumice. Now, Atomic says don't use flames or even adult toothpaste. They say to use children's toothpaste that is both non-abrasive and contains no fluoride crystals. The dive industry can't agree on how to clean a lens. No wonder we argue over everything in the sport. LOL.
Yep, just re-burned my atomic and it is working great again. I am sure I am shortening my mask life-span… However, after 5 years still going strong for me :)

500 psi is great.
Have to disagree ... I used some the other day (DEMA freebie) and all day my mask was blurry on one side. Scrubbed, rinsed, repeat, still blurry. I tossed that 500 PSI as soon as I got back.

My preference is Sea Gold or spit (mostly the latter as I never leave it at home :wink:

I used some the other day (DEMA freebie) and all day my mask was blurry on one side. Scrubbed, rinsed, repeat, still blurry. I tossed that 500 PSI as soon as I got back.

In my experience, any defogger solution doesn't work well or not at all if applied to the mask with wet glass. The glass needs to be dry before I apply the defogger for it to be effective.

A capful of baby shampoo in an old container full of distilled water.
For new masks , straight baby shampoo for the first few dives and only rinse about 90% out.

I was a fan of the diluted baby shampoo method for many years but recently switched to a commercial defog, "Spit antifog" brand. I realized the degree of success of the baby shampoo method seemed dependent on getting the ratio of shampoo to water right, and after applying it to the mask rinsing it out just enough but not too much. With the commercial defog, I just rub it a tiny drop evenly on the lens and do not rinse at all, and it seems to work more reliably than the baby shampoo. Then again, the other day when I had forgotten the defog, I spit in my mask and that too worked great.

recently switched to a commercial defog, "Spit antifog" brand.
Chinese workers spitting on small bottles 10-12hrs a day?
In my experience biggest problem is over rinsing, whatever you may use, real spit or shampoo, the more I let it dry on the glass and the less I rinse, the better it is.

"SPIT" defog gel. Small bottle lasts a really long time. Pea-sized drop per lens is all you need. Never have any fogging when I use it.

I find that most of the defog products work pretty well. The key is to get your mask really clean and then NEVER touch the glass with your fingers again. Clean it by running through your dishwasher or just use soap and a brush.

Going forward use a toothbrush to apply defog, baby shampoo, saliva, whatever. Your fingers transfer oils, sunscreen, lotions, etc. to the glass and create the conditions for fogging. Foam up the glass up really good with the toothbrush and then rinse with fresh water. Always keep a toothbrush in your mask box along with the defog product of your choice.

I've not had a foggy mask is years and years following this procedure. I wear a prescription mask these days and often end up wearing my mask for 30 minutes or more between gearing up and getting in the water. It works great in and out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom