stream2sea mask defog review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Full disclosure I received a bottle of defog for free on the condition that I do a honest review. I told @Stream2Sea it would be honest, if is sucked I would say so if it was good I would say so. I waited to do this review because I ran into a member of my dive club and passed the bottle on to them with a request for feedback. I asked my buddy @AfterDark and a DM from my LDS and his so who was there for there feedback as well.

I am not a expert on scuba diving, mask or mask defog, but I have stayed at holiday in express before.

My defog experience was the one I got when I did my OW (I think sea gold) which didn't work and then over to J@J no more tears baby shampoo.

So here are my thoughts.....

I applied a tiny drop on each lens while gearing up rubbed it in, walked in put some sea water in my mask swished it around and donned my mask.

It works, me and @AfterDark did two dives, the first was me doing drills, then swimming around and was around 45 minutes the second was a play around at 10 feet about 5 feet from shore, just using the extra air from our tanks. On the surface swim I had my mask around my neck. On the second dive I just dumped the water from my mask and went back in.

I had no fogging issues at all with my mask. @AfterDark said he had no issues either.

The DM said both him and his son had no issues with mask fogging. The club member reported back that this defog worked well as 500psi defog.

Full disclosure I received a bottle of defog for free on the condition that I do a honest review. I told @Stream2Sea it would be honest, if is sucked I would say so if it was good I would say so. I waited to do this review because I ran into a member of my dive club and passed the bottle on to them with a request for feedback. I asked my buddy @AfterDark and a DM from my LDS and his so who was there for there feedback as well.

I am not a expert on scuba diving, mask or mask defog, but I have stayed at holiday in express before.

My defog experience was the one I got when I did my OW (I think sea gold) which didn't work and then over to J@J no more tears baby shampoo.

So here are my thoughts.....

I applied a tiny drop on each lens while gearing up rubbed it in, walked in put some sea water in my mask swished it around and donned my mask.

It works, me and @AfterDark did two dives, the first was me doing drills, then swimming around and was around 45 minutes the second was a play around at 10 feet about 5 feet from shore, just using the extra air from our tanks. On the surface swim I had my mask around my neck. On the second dive I just dumped the water from my mask and went back in.

I had no fogging issues at all with my mask. @AfterDark said he had no issues either.

The DM said both him and his son had no issues with mask fogging. The club member reported back that this defog worked well as 500psi defog.

If you have a two lens mask, use S2S on on one side and BS on the other. Then report back.

Hopefully you, or other divers you know, will be able to test per @tridacna's request above, and also, please let us know if it worked significantly better than J's Baby Shampoo, enough to justify the difference in cost.

It worked as well as my saliva which works very well. My saliva has been called SCUBA spit. :)
I won't buy it because I don't use bottled anti-fog concoctions. However those that do use bottled anti-fog if you're not happy with what you are using this will work.

It worked as well as my saliva which works very well. My saliva has been called SCUBA spit. :)
I won't buy it because I don't use bottled anti-fog concoctions. However those that do use bottled anti-fog if you're not happy with what you are using this will work.

So far, nothing that I have tried has worked as well as my spit. (I haven't tried S2S).

However, as a boat diver, considering the Time of Covid, I may try other concoctions. J&J actually hurts my eyes, go figure.

So far, nothing that I have tried has worked as well as my spit. (I haven't tried S2S).

However, as a boat diver, considering the Time of Covid, I may try other concoctions. J&J actually hurts my eyes, go figure.

Solo shore diving has its upsides! Maybe a name change is in order, isolation diving?

Funny how saliva works for some but not others. @chillyinCanada, this stuff works and I didn't notice any issues like burning eyes. As an aside on the second "dive" I didn't re-treat my mask at all and it did not fog. Also as usual on the surface I had my mask on my forehead a known cause of fogging, it did not fog.

Thank you @formernuke and @AfterDark for the honest review! We're grateful! We have a 4 day coupon code LOVENATURE - $10 off orders of $50 for anyone wanting to order. We just added some great neck gaiters made from 100% recycled plastic too. Happy Friday and happy fog-free diving to all!

Hopefully you, or other divers you know, will be able to test per @tridacna's request above, and also, please let us know if it worked significantly better than J's Baby Shampoo, enough to justify the difference in cost.

I consider defog to be not worth considering cost wise. After regs, bc's, wetsuits, Drysuit you get the picture 10 bucks for a bottle of defog that will last me 20 years I don't worry about.

It started hurting mine too.

The reason these work better than baby shampoo or other diluted detergents, is when water gets in your mask, it tends to wash away the detergent and you get a foggy spot. From the description, this stuff stays on like sea drops. Dish soap and baby shampoo worked fine for me 99% of the time, I switched to sea drops for that other 1% when I don't hold my junk tight enough when stepping off the boat and get water into my mask.

Back
Top Bottom