ATX or XTX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. The adjusting screw on the 2nd stage is too far out. Get a allen key(can't remember the correct size 5.5mm?) and turn it all the way in and then back off couple turns. Keep the adjusting screw all the way out during storage.
2. A slow leak is normal for a properly turned Apeks(with the adjusting screw all the way out). The leak should stop when you turn in the screw in no more than 2 turns.
3. Flip the lever to -ve before back roll-in and then reset it back to +ve. I would stuck one of my finger into the mouth piece to stop the free flow instead of knocking it on the side.

Umm... I know I might sound a little dumb and all, and I know you make perfect sense, but I think you lost me! Hehe I'll look up the PDFs sent previously in this thread and try to figure out what you just said

I had just received my new ATX40s from 4th element diving in the UK! . . . I ended up using my ATX40 set for both my dives today. They free flowed as soon I hit the water and I lost 20bar in a few seconds! I back rolled in at on at 220bar and after the instructor came to me and told me to hold it down (which didn't do much at first) and then he knocked it on the side a few times, it stopped! Lol I dunno what that means or if it's normal. They're brand spanking new btw, bought from an authorized dealer in the UK.
I may be missing something here. Are you sure you purchased 'brand spanking new' ATX40s? There just may be a small, but possibly substantive, difference between 'previously unused regulators', and 'brand spanking new' regulators. Apeks switched from the ATX line to the XTX line quite a few years ago. Did you buy regs that had not been previously used, but had been sitting in inventory for at least 5+ years?

It is not 'normal' for 'brand spanking new' regulators to free flow the first time they are used. But, if they have been sitting in a box for 5+ years, and the diaphragm is a bit brittle, maybe then it would be considered 'normal'. Having said that, it would usually be considered a prudent idea to check new regs in a pool / confined water environment before taking them to open water. Just a thought.

I may be missing something here. Are you sure you purchased 'brand spanking new' ATX40s? There just may be a small, but possibly substantive, difference between 'previously unused regulators', and 'brand spanking new' regulators. Apeks switched from the ATX line to the XTX line quite a few years ago. Did you buy regs that had not been previously used, but had been sitting in inventory for at least 5+ years?

It is not 'normal' for 'brand spanking new' regulators to free flow the first time they are used. But, if they have been sitting in a box for 5+ years, and the diaphragm is a bit brittle, maybe then it would be considered 'normal'. Having said that, it would usually be considered a prudent idea to check new regs in a pool / confined water environment before taking them to open water. Just a thought.

You could of course be right in that that particular one is old stock but Apeks are still producing the ATX40, i.e it is still current.

Actually it came in the new packaging (the fully black Apeks box and not the older blue and yellow Apeks branding). I did get them checked by the Apeks authorized LDS (who are known to be be very pro for repairs even if they are pricks with their prices). I sent them for a full functionality test and paid for it! Also, the dealer from whom I bought them is listed on the Apeks website. And yes, the ATX40s are still manufactured (Buddha is correct).

All those reasons are why I'm so surprised they free flowed! I'm going to call the LDS and tell them what happened today. The manager is meant to be a very cool guy that's very good at his job...

Umm... I know I might sound a little dumb and all, and I know you make perfect sense, but I think you lost me! Hehe I'll look up the PDFs sent previously in this thread and try to figure out what you just said

My advice is to convert your ATX-40s to ATX-50s using these. It will be easier to control the cracking pressure .

Last edited:
Thanks for the response ams511. But it wasn't the octo that free flowed, it was the actual Reg....

Thanks for the response ams511. But it wasn't the octo that free flowed, it was the actual Reg....

I am confused over what happened. How did you keep the regulator in your mouth if it was freeflowing so badly? Did it do the same thing during the second dive?

A second stage works on pressure differentials. When you inhale you create a vacuum that bends the diaphragm which moves a lever that opens the valve. On some regulators the venturi effect is so strong it will keep the valve open (out of the water) even if there is no pressure applied. In my experience I see this more often with Scubapro regulators than with Apeks ones. However, I am more familiar with the TX series which is very similar to what you have except with a bigger case than the ATX series.

You have an ATX 40 primary yes? If so post #47 is still valid. I did the conversion on my ATX 40s but I used factory parts. It's a very simple conversion takes less than 15mins. Well took me that long, a trained tech maybe able to do it faster.

Back
Top Bottom