ATX or XTX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It kind of popped out of my mouth when it happened ams511... And yes buddhasummer, I have the ATX40 :)

As has been mentioned sounds like it just needs a wee tune. Either the lever is set too high or the adjuster needs to tightened up some. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes for a tech to do.

I'll take them back to them then. What about the wheezing/diaphragm vibrations? That normal?

Out of water it's normal as the diaphragm flutters but should not be doing so underwater.

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 07:23 AM ----------

If it does so underwater my initial "guess" would be the lever is possibly set too low.

Apeks are still producing the ATX40, i.e it is still current.
Thank you! I looked on the Apeks website and, sure enough, they are still producing the ATX40 second stage. What's more, they still produce the ATX20 second stage, along with both the XTX40 and the XTX20. I obviously missed that. Interesting, although I am also now curious - why.

I think the big reason is their popularity, particularly the ATX 40, with the U.K. tech boys. From what I understand they are more popular than the XTX range.

@buddhasummer the more I read your comments (and the others) the more I feel the LDS service tech guys need to take a look again because I would assume when one sends a full set of regs and asks them to give them a full check and assemble (and pay for it) then this shouldn't be happening.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

Also, I have the xtx40 2nd stage. I haven't used it yet, but just manipulating it out of the water I can tell that the materials used aren't the same. Or at least their combinations are a little more sturdy (that is not to say that the atx40s aren't sturdy)...

I agree, I would expect that if I paid for service/check/tune etc that I would receive fully functioning regs in return. If adjusted as per service manual, which I assume the certified shop tech has, then they "shouldn't" be behaving as you suggest. Having said that I have tuned regs before that measured and checked out fine but once in the water misbehaved a little (I'm not trained though so possibly my error) and required a further tweak so it might be worth giving the tech the benefit of the doubt, I don't know them and it's easy to criticize behind a keyboard. I'd take them back tell them what's going on and let them sort it. Good luck.

Interesting I think the ATX seconds are better made and more study than the XTX. Not a big fan of the XTX purge button.

I feel the atx purge button is easier to press than the xtx... But I'm new to this whole thing. Also I'm not saying they're not good or criticizing them, just wondering if I should go and get them checked again or whether I'm paranoid.

Last edited:
It's hard to know if there is a problem or not over the Internet but if you're concerned get them re checked. My regs flutter out of water, it's normal. My regs "might" free flow if Venturi is on max and adjuster all the way out when I hit the water if mouth piece is facing up or a wave hits the reg. Once descended they do not free flow. If Venturi is on minimum and adjuster all the way in as long as mouth piece is not facing up they will not free flow. I know the ATX don't have the adjuster but only dove them once this way before I fitted the adjuster so am unsure how easily they free flow. They certainly shouldn't be doing in while in your mouth underwater.

I didn't mean to imply that you were critising them but that it's easy for people like me posting on a forum to criticize so was trying to be mindful of my post.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom